External storage will not work when I take the Xbox to different location from home.

I travel extensively for my work. I take all my consoles with me to play games. When I hook up the external storage on my XB1, the games WILL NOT work at all. It does matter if I'm online or not. Nothing is wrong with the Hard Drive as the games work flawlessly at my house.   IS this some kind of DRM CRAP that my games installed on my external hard drive are linked to my home IP address?   To be clear the games were purchased and installed using the same Xbox One and same External Storage.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Could you please provide the make and model of the hard drive. Also, does the Xbox recognise the hard drive but give you an error message when you try to start a game? Or are your games not showing up at all?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There is no IP address linking going on here. If that was in place you would lose access to your games even at home unless your ISP assigns you a static IP. This is quite a strange issue though.

There might be region locking going on. Do you work travels take you internationally? Even if you don't connect your console to the internet, it can determine it's location using surrounding WiFi access points.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.