external hdd not reading

heres my situation. I had 2 different 1.5tb external drives and both worked fine on the 360. One hard drive bit the dust so i decided to move everything onto a big 3.0tb drive. however that new drive, when connected to the 360 WILL NOT read! the old, still working will read and of course the broken on will not.  but why cant i get this new drive to read? must there be some special file put on there? or what?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

The xbox is not set up to use anything other than what is supplied as extra space.  In order to attach an external drive the drive must be formatted for the xbox which will give it only a total of 16 gb worth of space.  

How did you modify your xbox in order to read the external drives that you say worked in the first place?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

NO! i am not trying to use the hdd to play games off of the 360! I a only trying to use it to watch movies or listen to music! it seems like everyone is un aware that you can do that. I am not trying to format to 16gb like its a usb stick. i just want to watch my tv collection on my 360 and tv

Sorry this didn't help.

Is the 3TB HDD partitioned/formatted as NTFS or FAT32?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, I see what your asking.  Don't get upset, I wasn't accusing you.  Here's what you need to do.  If you have all your movies/music on the external hard drive, re-attach it to your pc.  Then go here and download the program called Tversity.  This program will link up easily with your xbox and once you add the files/folders you want will easily stream the movies/music/pics from your computer through the xbox to your tv.

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks but, um, dont have a windows PC! so it wont work, but its ok i used a smaller drive to get around it

Sorry this didn't help.

Onyx62is : The xbox is not set up to use anything other than what is supplied as extra space.  In order to attach an external drive the drive must be formatted for the xbox which will give it only a total of 16 gb worth of space.  

How did you modify your xbox in order to read the external drives that you say worked in the first place?

============================

he's right anything more than 16GB wont work on the console , how the hell did you format that HDD to work on your console .

Sorry this didn't help.

Kenomac already pointed out that he uses the drive for movies and music. The 360 has always supported read-only of media from HFS+ and FAT32-formatted HDDs. Third party media files are not stored on trusted 360 storage space (USB MU, HDD) and are not accessed from System Settings, Memory.

Sorry this didn't help.