External HDD Causes Tampered Box Error Code

So I log into my box this evening to find a new update, cool right? Well I update and it gives me this error code: 397d-397f-1380-0700-c000-003c. So I look it up, yada yada, gotta call or chat with a support person. They ask for my serial number and such, and immediately jump to tampered box. I'm like wth, I dont even know how to open this finely tuned piece of entertainment. So I'm like w/e I'll fix it. So I get to thinking about how the xbox has issues with the external hdd's. So I take mine out for craps and giggles and wala, update works fine, back to call of duty. So, in short, unplug your external hdd if your updating. Being told I have a tampered box is a little upsetting and quite an extreme accusation.

Note to microsoft: Fix your error codes or go over them with a fine tooth comb, because if any other irrational human being were to call with this issue, I'm sure they'd be a little irate.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey there Inc! That is very odd that your error went away after unplugging your external HDD. Just for reference, what brand/size are you using? Which USB port on the console are you connecting it to when you get this error? Was this HDD formatted for use with the console (found in this guide) or was it simply being used to house media files? 

I haven't heard of this before, but I will make sure to keep it in mind for the future. Thank you for your post!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it was formatted properly, umm, its at 32gb which i was informed it needs to drop to 16gb, (kinda annoying cuz its a 1tb) Front usb's I never plug it into the back. It does cause some issues with my box, alot of times it'll take upwards 5 minutes for the damn thing to load a music list of lets say... 10 songs? I dont like streaming as I like to play duty and jam out. Sucks that last.fm can't run in the background.

So for now I'll just avoid using it. Its a western digital 1TB. But I have a partition for xbox for basically playing music

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.