external harddrive not good enough?

so i have a 250gb external harddrive that when i tried to install a game to a warning prompt came up saying the performance may suffer.  it's advertising the one specifically for 360.  i'm just wondering why would the performance suffer?  does it really or is it just to get me to buy something else?  i only have the 4gb system which seems to make a lot of noise when a game is in the drive, so i'd like to install the to curb that and i really don't want to have to deal with replacing the drive.  is there a reason why my external drive apparently won't be up to par with the 8gb flash they are advertising?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

probably has a low read /write rate. you will only be able to use 16gb out of that 250gb, since it is external.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

how can you tell the read/write rate?  do you recommend any other usb device?  i don't do a lot of gaming on my 360, it's mostly just for exclusives so i don't need a lot of memory, but the problem is that for whatever reason the system makes this sort of odd rattle noise when a disk is being read, but when it's installed it doesn't.  the noise isn't constant and seems to me at least, to have something to do with the drive moving back and forth, but it is considerably distracting.  

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="CracklierLemur2"]it's advertising the one specifically for 360.[/quote]There is no external HDD "specifically for 360".[quote]i'm just wondering why would the performance suffer?[/quote]Because the USB Memory Unit performance test is for flash memory, not a mechanical HDD. Mechanical HDDs will always fail the performance test because mechanical HDD random read/write access is poor. This is why even the highest performance mechanical HDD gets beaten by any SSD with a decent controller in any random read/write test.[quote]does it really or is it just to get me to buy something else?[/quote]As the 360 says, the device will work. For game installs it should be fine. Usually games just read in from disk in big chunks. Sequential read/write performance on a mechanical HDD is fine.[quote]the problem is that for whatever reason the system makes this sort of odd rattle noise when a disk is being read[/quote]A DVD spinning at 12x for hours at a time is not exactly healthy for a DVD drive. This is why it is best to install DVD-based games to the HDD before playing.

Sorry this didn't help.

sorry didn't mean to imply an ext. hdd for the 360, i'm meant the flash drive.  the one you can buy at best buy in the 360 accessories.

Sorry this didn't help.

so, what are my options?  i don't use the system enough to warrant 150+gb, but i obviously need more than the 4gb the system offers because i want to install the games so they will run better.  the 8bg flash drive for 40$ is enough to hold about 1 game (bayonetta needs something like 6gb to install).  should i just but a much larger flash?

Sorry this didn't help.

The 360-branded SanDisk drive is failing the performance tests?

Take it back and exchange it. The 360-branded SanDisk is not supposed to do that.

Sorry this didn't help.

to install games on anything external USB, you can only use 16GB of it to do so.  The rest of the space will go unused, or you can store stuff like movies or music on it.

Sorry this didn't help.

The best choice for game installs on the 360 S is the 250GB internal HDD. The HDDs go on sale from time to time for $100 or so. They may clear it out when the 320GB comes down the line (yeah, it's a guess, but if MS follows pattern it'll come out Q1 or Q2 next year). Keep an eye on Woot if that happens as when the 360 S rolled out Woot sold off brand new retail original 360-style 250GB drives for $50.

For just keeing a couple games installed at a time, a couple 16GB USB flash drives should have enough space, however keep in mind that multi-disc titles like LA Noire and Final Fantasy XIII will not fit well on USB MUs. Also, some game DLC requires a HDD (Fallout 3, Obliviion) and won't work via a USB MU.

Sorry this didn't help.