external hard drive

i was wondering can i use a external hard drive on my xbox

its a sea gate one with pictures music and films on can i plug it into the usb port on my xbox and use if so how do i get into it

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Providing the drive is formatted as FAT32 you can plug it into your 360 to watch movies and listen to music. To do that simply go to the My Xbox channel on your console and scroll across to the Video Library or the Music Library.

It's worth mentioning though that FAT32 only supports files sizes up to 4gb, nothing larger than that. So if you do have larger files then you might want to look into streaming from your PC. Great info on which can be found here http://tehemperorshand.wordpress.com/

[quote user="voteDC"]

Providing the drive is formatted as FAT32 you can plug it into your 360 to watch movies and listen to music. To do that simply go to the My Xbox channel on your console and scroll across to the Video Library or the Music Library.

It's worth mentioning though that FAT32 only supports files sizes up to 4gb, nothing larger than that. So if you do have larger files then you might want to look into streaming from your PC. Great info on which can be found here http://tehemperorshand.wordpress.com/

[/quote]

Verified Answer

i believe a friend of mine uses a 16 gig flashdrive to play videos off of

[quote user="Wingnut 17980"]

i believe a friend of mine uses a 16 gig flashdrive to play videos off of

[/quote]

It can be any size if you're only watching a video from.

But if you will use it as a storage device for the 360, it has to be at least 1GB and a maximum of 16GB.

If the drive is formatted to NTFS you could also have a another slight problem though.  To my knowledge Windows XP, Vista and Win 7 will only allow you to format a FAT32 partition to32GB max, if you want to go beyond 32GB you'll have to use a third party partition program.

I believe that the 360 also supports HFS+ which is an Apple File System.  The good thing about HFS+ is that it supports files sizes over 4GB.

Do you know of any software that lets you partition to HFS+ on a Windows OS?

[quote user="SONIC SCREAM 07"]

Do you know of any software that lets you partition to HFS+ on a Windows OS?

[/quote]

A popular one is Mac Drive but it's not free.  You can get FAT32 extenders for free, but most of the HFS+ formating apps you have to pay for, unless you have access to a Mac of course.