external hard drive

I have a 250 WD external hard drive that works just fine with my Xbox 360 MW3 edition. I never had to load or download anything to get it to work. Maybe certain brands work and some don't. I know that a Toshiba 1TB does NOT work. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

It's not specific, on the website, on every mass storage device that will work on the Xbox 360. There's just too many to keep track of. Every time I've tried using external memory, I had to format it in order for it to work with my Xbox 360. Not sure how you were able to bypass this process before O.O Also, if I'm not mistaken...I think only up to 32 GB can be used per an external source. Here is a link about troubleshooting usb external devices: support.xbox.com/.../usb-device-troubleshooting

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My 250gb hard drive is full of games, i have also used up a 32gb flash drive,. I think its about time Microsoft either supported external hard drives properly or released a properly large internal hard drive themselves. We are after all living in the digital era. If Microsoft want me to keep purchasing games off their arcade and GOD service then i need somewhere to store them! I have hard copies installed on my hard drives because some discs are sooooo noisy when running in t he disc drive. Then other games such as Forza and Halo 4 require you to install the game anyway to run them properly/ The xbox one has a 500gb hard drive and i reckon it will get filled up pretty quickly too. The new games are going to be much larger files than 360 games and supposedly you are required to install every game befor you play it. I would love to be able to take advantage of all these sales on xbla but buying flash drives all the time is expensive and inconvenient. Come on Microsoft WE NEED MORE STORAGE PLEASE!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I got an external hard drive for my Xbox One and installed everything on it, yesterday i turned off the Xbox while i was on a game and now my Xbox doesn't recognize the hard drive but when i connected it to my PC it is recognized.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there reddevildj!

Sorry to hear about the issue! Since this is an older thread in our Xbox 360 support forums, I suggest posting over in the proper Xbox One support forum. That way the community can provide support tailored specifically to you! :)

Sorry this didn't help.