External Hard Drive Formatting?

All over the internet people are saying that you can format an external hard drive to hfs+ to watch videos that are over 4 gigs in size on your xbox 360.

I just want to hear an official answer (or even a highly knowledgable one!) on this matter.

I have formatted my external to hfs+ multiple times, put movies on it, and yet the xbox 360 doesn't even know it's (the drive) there.

What am i doing wrong?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 205 Applies to:

Hi there.

I believe the external hard drive needs to be formatted to FAT32 for use with the xbox 360 console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

FAT32 works perfectly... only when you're trying to watch files less than 4 gigs in size.

most HD movies are just slightly over that mark when compressed, few are below it when compressed.

Maybe there's an update for me to download or something?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Xbox 360 will only recognize Flash media formatted as FAT32, and will only play files under 4GB in size.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Miss Portia"]

The Xbox 360 will only recognize Flash media formatted as FAT32, and will only play files under 4GB in size.

[/quote]Not strictly true.

I play a 7gb HD .wmv file on my 360 without a problem, though I confess that is streamed from my PC so perhaps the 4gb limit is only for drives connected directly to the console?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="voteDC"]

[quote user="Miss Portia"]

[/quote]Not strictly true.

I play a 7gb HD .wmv file on my 360 without a problem, though I confess that is streamed from my PC so perhaps the 4gb limit is only for drives connected directly to the console?

[/quote]

It might be because you are streaming it. But the 360 will accept either FAT32 or HFS+.

The downside of FAT32 is that you cannot have a single file that is bigger than 4GB whereas you can with HFS+. 

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="DynamiteKick01"]I have formatted my external to hfs+ multiple times, put movies on it, and yet the xbox 360 doesn't even know it's (the drive) there.[/quote]Where are you looking? Are you looking under Videos, or are you looking under System Settings, Memory?[quote]What am i doing wrong?[/quote]Maybe nothing, but to find out I'd have to reinstall MacDrive and then format a USB HDD or USB flash drive to HFS+. Not really up to doing that at the moment.

I have tested this before, but pre-Kinect update. The Zune PC version of Halo Legends is over 5GB in size. I put it on an HFS+-formatted USB HDD and it played fine on the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Allow me to rephrase - For storage devices connected to the console, only the use of FAT32 formatted devices are supported. If you're able to use HFS+, be aware that is not a supported format. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

try an ipod, they use to work, trying to make a usb drive here to work to, but doesnt seem to do anything.

maybe its the new update they dont support anymore. i am not sure, i dont have any ipod (nano)left

Sorry this didn't help.