External Hard Disc not showing in Dashboard

Hi, my problem is that my 4TB Hard Disc is no longer showing in the dash, it has reverted to the internal drive which has under 2% left.  However it shows up fine in the settings/manage storage where it is still set as default.  I can also still play games installed to this drive.  I've already power cycled the drive and Xbox and would be extremely reluctant to do a factory reset as that's just a fob off as the drive and XBox work fine and i've over a TB on it which  would require a lot of redownloading.  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi buddy, doing a factory reset isn't all that bad, especially if all your games are on the external HDD. All you'd need to download is the latest update and your profile(s) which wouldn't take long. I probably Factory reset mine every 4-6 months and it not only responds better but seems to run a lot smoother for quite some time afterward.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Braindeed, 

Sorry you're having issues with your external hard drive. Sorry but I'm not totally understanding what you mean by it's not showing up on your dash? Also, when you reboot the console, it's not always a true "reboot". I would suggest doing a hard reset. Do do this, with the Xbox on, hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds until the console quickly shuts off. After you do that then turn it back on and expect a longer boot time. 

Hope this helps! 

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

The dash, short for dashboard.  When you go into Apps and games and it shows the drive status, it's showing the full internal drive, not the external one or the total capacity which it used to, even though the external is set as default drive in manage storage.  I have already done numerous hard resets.  It didn't change anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

SN1PER sadly my internal drive is at 98.3% ful so a major amount of redownloading and installing and updating would be needed, I've well over 40 games installed in total. Just tried using the report problem option via the Xbox button, after taking an age typing out the problem using a controller the *** error report failed to send quoting an error!

Sorry this didn't help.