External drive causing repeated system restarts.

Hey there, Xbox forum.

I set up my external HD on my Xbox shortly after the update allowing it. For the past year or so, it has been working wonderfully. Until a couple months back. 

One day I booted up my xbox and my system seemed to get stuck in a loop of rebooting. It starts with the Green Xbox loading screen, loads for about 30 seconds, and then will just restart the same process over and over again. 

Sure enough, I unplugged the external drive and everything works fine.  Only issue is, half my games are on the HD and with my limited download cap (thanks Canada) it's going to be a while before I can download half my games.

Anyone else run into this issue? Am I stuck reconnecting HD to Pc and formatting?

It's a Seagate 2tb drive. I can't find any model number but it is USB 3 and powered. 

Anyone else have similar issues?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

Hey mate,

Something to try...

Firstly, unplug the hard drive and turn the xbox one. Once it hits the dashboard, give it a hard boot.

Which you can do by holding down the power button for 10seconds until it switches off, unplug the brick from the xbox and the wall outlet, leave it for a minute or two, before plugging it and switching it all back on.

Then try plugging the HD back in and seeing if it works.

It could be that its become corrupted or something like that, but worth trying that before you reformat.

I understand the download cap all to well :(

Cheers

Denaz

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.