Explain this.

So I signed up for 1 month for £1, with the intention of trying it for 1 month and cancelling before the 2nd month.

About 2 weeks in, I signed in and a message came up. It said

''Your subscription expires on 17/07/2011, would you like to turn ON auto-renewal?''
It gave me two options. ''Yes'' and ''No''

I selected ''No''.

Then I think it gave another message saying ''You can turn on auto-renewal at any time by blah blah...''

I thought that was good because now I would not have to cance. Obviously I thought auto-renewal was not turned on. That's pretty understandable, right? I mean, I would have no cause to expect it to be on, having been informed my service was expiring, been offered the chance to turn auto-renewal on and selected no.

I'm sure you can guess the next part. I find out that on the same day they asked me that question they emailed me (I don't check this email often because I set it up only for the purpose of using it for xbox live...), telling me auto-renewal was 'ON'.

Please don't insult me by suggesting I pressed 'yes' instead of 'no'...

What a scam. I was not expecting the question and would have phoned to cancel, the question was asked and caused me not to phone and cancel. Absolutely outrageous.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

[quote user="Knees76"]

This all happened because Xbox has continue to fail to add the option of turning your Auto Renewal ON/OFF. Well that and under trained customer support representatives.

To me this is UNACCEPTABLE but at this point all I can do is sit by the phone and wait for the magical call from someone from Xbox Support.

[/quote]

Actually no, this is not why it happened. It happened because the first phone support agent you talked to did not do as you asked them to do. What you should do is call phone support early in the morning when they first open and ask to speak to a supervisor and explain to them your unfortunate situation. Hopefully the first call you made to them was recorded and they can go back to it and listen to what transpired so they can address it with that support agent to make sure it doesn't happen again to you or anyone else.

I do agree that MS needs to train their phone support better. These people should know everything there is to know about the product/service they are providing support for.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have never heard of the console or website asking you if you want to turn auto-renewal on at any time. When you sign up for a LIVE subscription or promo on the console, it will turn auto-renewal on. Every time. To turn it off, simply call phone support in your region (support.xbox.com/.../contact-us.aspx) and they can assist you. If you feel you were billed unjustly, you would still need to call phone support to discuss the matter. I'm sorry for your frustration.

Sorry this didn't help.

To all those saying you need to phone Xbox Support to cancel automatic renewal I want to make people aware of the problem I am currently dealing with regarding Auto Renewal ON/OFF. I am very aware of my account and knew that when I signed up for Gold, 1 month for $1 that it would turn my Auto Renewal to ON. I had a note on my computer to call Xbox to get it turned off when I had some time. So yesterday I called(it's been 24 hours now without Gold) to get it turned off and this is what happened. It's rather long, feel free to read if you want.

I had a Gold account that was current through 10/14/11. I called today to turn OFF my auto renewal and the lady I spoke with said she was going to do this. I then received an email about 5 minutes later stating my Gold account has been canceled. I turned on my Xbox and sure enough there it was asking me to upgrade to Gold when I tried to log in and view something on ESPN, Hulu or play a friend online. My account had been reset to silver.

So I then call back and am on the phone with another lady for 30 minutes. She said she cannot turn my Gold account back on and that this would need to be done by a supervisor contacting me and issuing me a 3 month Gold membership. I was told that a supervisor would be contacting me within 10-15 minutes.

An hour goes by and I have received no phone call. So I call back Xbox, go through the prompts of having an open issue and again get in contact with a third lady who then tells me that a Supervisor has 24 or 48 hours to contact me (At this point I am so pissed that I don't remember if it was 24 or 48 hours). I asked to speak with a Supervisor and the lady tells me that she cannot transfer me to one. I hung up on her and am now stuck at waiting at the mercy of the phone call from Xbox and I not able to do anything relating to Xbox Gold this evening.

This all happened because Xbox has continue to fail to add the option of turning your Auto Renewal ON/OFF. Well that and under trained customer support representatives.

To me this is UNACCEPTABLE but at this point all I can do is sit by the phone and wait for the magical call from someone from Xbox Support.

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a feedback link at the bottom of the page that you can use to submit your feedback in.

Sorry this didn't help.

To be fair, I'm not here because I think one of you is going to give me a refund, but I would like people to know about this glitch. If nobody is interested in hearing about an incredibly misleading glitch with the xbox live service then I apologise as I've obviously got the wrong forum. If you could point me in the direction of somewhere where people may like to know about it then please do. Bear in mind I have already phoned and they weren't interested in the slightest.

MS might not be aware of the situation - how best should I inform them?

Sorry this didn't help.

As pointed out...you does you no good to cry about it here.  We can do nothing about it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I already called and the man I spoke to basically admitted it was a 'glitch in the system' but didn't sound like he was going to do anything about it, and said he was not able to offer a refund. Not satisfactory. Rant-worthy, perhaps?

''Your Service may be cancelled at the end of your subscription term if you do not have a billing account or have not elected to auto-renew your subscription with a charge to your payment method''

I did not elect to auto-renew. I was going to call and cancel because I thought it was needed, but I was then completely understandably misled by the apparently glitch message into thinking this was not needed, because it stated the exact opposite! The fact that they will not offer a refund for this is pretty bad, possibly illegal? The whole concept of automatically enabled auto-renew is morally questionable anyway and clearly designed to catch people out. That's another issue I suppose, but when they start sending out completely misleading glitch messages and refusing to refund, they cross the line.

Sorry this didn't help.

MS might not even be aware of the situation. Instead of going off on a rant why not simply call them up and let them know what happened? It is very possible it is a glitch in their system and the sooner someone tells them about it the sooner they can fix it.

I also must point out that in the XBL Terms of Service that everyone is presented with when they create an XBL account:

6.2.  Payment.  When you create a billing account, you enter your payment method.  You must be authorized to use the payment method.  You authorize us to charge you for the Service and for any paid feature of the Service that you or the user of any associated account choose to use while this contract is in force using your payment method.  We may bill (a) in advance; (b) at the time of purchase; (c) shortly after purchase; or (d) on a recurring basis for subscription services.  Also, we may charge you up to the amount you have approved. See Section 6.5 below for information regarding price changes.  We may bill simultaneously for more than one of your prior billing periods.  Once we have informed you that the Service will be provided indefinitely or automatically renewed, we may automatically renew your Service and charge you for any renewal term in accordance with the subscription offer terms we present to you prior to your payment for the Service which terms may be updated upon written notice (including email) to you.  In some cases, you may have the option to create or renew a subscription with a prepaid card instead of your payment method.  Your Service may be cancelled at the end of your subscription term if you do not have a billing account or have not elected to auto-renew your subscription with a charge to your payment method, or you have not entered a prepaid card for purposes of renewing your Service.  If you sign up for an Xbox LIVE Gold Membership or other Xbox LIVE paid subscription using a prepaid card, your subscription will continue but will downgrade to a free Xbox LIVE membership at the end of your pre-purchase paid membership period, regardless of whether you have a billing account.  To maintain your paid membership, you must set your account to automatically renew with a charge to your payment method, or you must enter a new prepaid card.

Give support a call and calmly and politely explain your situation to them. They can even turn off the auto renewal for you from there.

Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but that's not really an explanation, is it?

Why would my xbox inform me my membership was expiring and ask me if I wanted to turn renewal on? And then do the exact opposite (or at least ignore) my reply? Why? It's incredibly misleading, and I'm sure you will understand how I was tricked into believing it was not turned on? How can this possibly be acceptable practise?!

I'm 100% sure that has got to be illegal. It's complete fraud. It is natural that one would allow a message of this nature from one party to overide any previously held contract regarding the issue. It's beyond belief that this can be allowed to happen. Explain why I was asked that question by my xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately you need to phone Xbox Support to cancel automatic renewal.

Sorry this didn't help.