Exactly what privacy/safety settings need to be enabled for a child to access Minecraft servers?

I set up an Xbox Live account for my 10-year-old son because he really wants to be able to access Minecraft servers, so that he can play with more people than just me and his little brother. But he keeps getting a message saying that he is not allowed to access them because of the setup of his account, and that the privacy/online safety settings need to be changed.

I went into the settings, and made sure every permission that seemed possibly relevant was enabled - under the Privacy tab, I set "Share stuff people make (Xbox 360: Member Content)" to Everyone, under the Xbox One/Windows 10 tab I set "Join multiplayer games" to Allow, and under the Xbox 360 tab I set "Online Gameplay" to Allowed. (And yes, I made sure I was doing this for his account, not just mine!). But it's still not working. Is there some other setting that needs to be checked?

In case it makes a difference, this is for Minecraft Pocket Edition on an iPad, not an actual Xbox, but it still requires an Xbox Live account for most multiplayer features.

It's been two weeks and no one has responded... :( I would still be very interested in getting the answer to this question! My son really wants to be able to access servers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Does he have a gold subscription?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I ended up giving up on regular servers and setting up a Realm, and was able to add my 10-year-old, no problem, and we've been playing in the realm regularly, so that part is all good.

But now I'm trying to add his younger brother (7 years old) and for some reason it is just not working! I've made sure that all the privacy and online safety settings are the same for the two kids, I made sure both of them were listed in my family in the Microsoft account settings, and added as Xbox Live friends, but for some reason the younger one is still getting the message that "You cannot play online multiplayer through Xbox Live because of how your account is set up. This can be changed in your privacy & online safety settings on Xbox.com."

The thing is, I have checked and re-checked those settings repeatedly, and they are exactly the same for both kids. But the older one is able to access the realm and the younger one is not! Is there something else I have to do, maybe because of his age? I already tried setting the age limit for apps & games in his Microsoft account settings to age 10 & up rather than 7 & up to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't... I can't figure out why it is allowing one kid and not allowing the other when everything is set up identically for both of them!

For the record, we are all using Minecraft Pocket Edition on iOS devices, and we do not have an actual Xbox - we only set up the Xbox accounts for use with Minecraft. And nobody has a gold subscription to the best of my knowledge (I don't even know what that is, offhand) - we just have a Realms subscription. And I did all the account setup stuff via the Microsoft.com and Xbox.com web sites on my computer, not via any mobile app, in case that makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wanna do realms 30 day trial

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Hated,

Thank you for reaching out. If you haven't already done so, please head on over to the Mojang Realms Trial page for information on how to take advantage of their trial. For further assistance, we encourage you to create a new thread. Cheers :D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 181 Applies to: