Ethernet port not working

I was playing perfectly fine on Friday until it started raining a lot on Saturday. I decided to play today, but found I was not connected to xbox live, so I checked the internet and everything. Then it said I was not connected to the wire or anything else. Tried the solution thing and it did not help at all. I believe my ethernet port is fried or something, as I can connect to the internet fine with my computers just not with my xbox. Is there a solution to fix it or do I have to contact xbox?

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2018 Views 3,407 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Welp, sorry to hear that.

The only other way to fix it is to buy a wireless adapter. They run $60-odd on Amazon, and they're useful if you're going to a friends house from it. A bit pricey, yeah, but better than sending in your console for even more.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Does the connection run about the same as a wired connection?

Sorry this didn't help.

For the most part, yeah as long as they are pretty close, you'll reach the speeds needed.

Also, hooray for fast response on my part. 4 minutes.

Not bad, eh?

Sorry this didn't help.

Before you truly know what the exact issue is I wouldn't necessarily just up and purchase a wireless adapter. While it is an alternative form of connecting, it'd be better off to narrow down the exact issue first as just purchasing a wireless adapter won't make the current issue go away if something is indeed broken, it will only bypass it.

Some suggestions. If you have a spare ethernet cable that you either don't use, or you can even use the one hooked up to your computer, and test it out on your Xbox to see if it's the ethernet cable you're currently using that's the issue and not the port itself.

If you run your 360 through a router, as I assume you do if you're using the Internet on the computer as well, then you can try resetting/restarting the router and then attempting to connect to Xbox Live again.

Have you tried running the 360 directly to your Modem, bypassing the Router? Just naming off some things you may try.

Sorry this didn't help.

Haha yup not bad at all. And I have also tried using different wires and for some reason it won't show it being connecting to the modem as no green light flashes at all. I have tried resetting and restarting the router, but to no avail. Also I configured my modem to be able to bypass the modem itself, yet it still wont show a green light saying Im connected to the modem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Everything connecting to the modem shows a green light perfectly fine like my laptop and computer just not my xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

If your ethernet port on your Xbox is done, you won't even be able to select the wired network, as it will tell you to plug in an ethernet cable.  That cable could be connected to nothing but it will at least detect something is plugged in.  If this is what you are experiencing and you've tried multiple ethernet cables, then you don't need to test anything further.

-

Your options if you confirm what you already think to be true are to buy a wireless adapter (roughly $60 as already mentioned) or get your console repaired.  If it's in warranty it's free, if it's out of warranty it's $100 or $120 depending on if you request the repair online or by phone (phone being the more expensive option).

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in warranty as I bought it over the summer, but I think getting it 17 days later would kind of take a long time as I am gamer. I'll be purchasing a wireless adapter! Thanks for all your guys support appreciate it! Have a nice day all of you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just bought a wireless adapter for the same exact problem hopefully it works cuz I bought this one second hand, mine was working fine till I.switched from.at&t to comcast. But my laptop works fine but the light don't light up on the router or my xbox when I plug it. Hope this solves my problem. Don't wanna pay for xbox live n netflix for nothing

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem with my xbox too. One day i turned it on and the sign in deal keep saying I was off line. I tried different cables and that did not work. I know the line is good because I can plug my laptop in and get the interent. My xbox is about 2.5 years old. Any ideas? I really want to use my cable because I took the time one weekend and ran the cables to my location where the xbox was.  

Sorry this didn't help.