Error codes are not as intelligent as they could be.

Why do you give me an error code (0x80169cf9) then tell me to go look it up (see below) When you could have just told me what the problem was in the first place?
Error 80169cf9 occurs when you try to redeem an Xbox Live Gold code

You see the following error code and message when you try to redeem an Xbox Live Gold membership prepaid code or token:

80169cf9

The payment option can't be used for this purchase. Please select a different payment option or add a new one.

This error message occurs when you have an active membership but auto renewal is turned off, and the payment instrument that was used to purchase that membership has been removed from your account or is no longer associated with your membership.

Solution

Because the payment instrument has been removed from your current membership, you will not be able to add a prepaid code or token for a membership while your current membership is still active. You must wait until your current membership has ended to redeem the token. Membership tokens do not expire. To find out when your membership will end, sign in to your Xbox account and tap or click Subscriptions to view the end dates for your current memberships and subscriptions.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

This error CODE ONLY makes it seem like my payment was refused, even if i bought a prepaid card. oooorrrr you could have posted this:

This error message occurs when you have an active membership but auto renewal is turned off, and the payment instrument that was used to purchase that membership has been removed from your account or is no longer associated with your membership.

Solution

Because the payment instrument has been removed from your current membership, you will not be able to add a prepaid code or token for a membership while your current membership is still active. You must wait until your current membership has ended to redeem the token. Membership tokens do not expire. To find out when your membership will end, sign in to your Xbox account and tap or click Subscriptions to view the end dates for your current memberships and subscriptions.

That or why make us leave the xbox to use chrome ( a far Superior browser to ie.) when we could have a link on the error message which opens up IE on our TV(which is superior to chrome because it's already there)

I'm afraid error codes are incapable of intelligence.

Indeed,   May I ask?,

Did you not find an answer using the error code search function?

What were you trying to do exactly??  What is your issue??

Why is Chrome needed???

lol did you read the post? The point of the post is to say that the error codes are redundant and a waste of time. Just put the error solution rather then just a code.