Error code for latest update

For XBOX 360s

Modem Brand and Model Number: U-Verse

Router Brand and Model Number: 

Wired or Wireless connection: Wireless (also tried direct connection and USB)

Update Error Message: Cannot process update
Update Error Code (6 sets of 4 digits/letters each): 4099-40A3-1600-267F-C000-0185
What you've tried: 

Followed steps from this forum: tried multiple times to download from XBOX Live. Tested my connection - it will connect to modem, to internet, to Live then begin the download. As soon as it starts to process the update I get the above error code.

I then tried a direct connection with the same result.

Then I tried re-seating the 350G hard drive (I have 300G available).

Next I tried a USB drive, after restart it prompts me to update (from the USB drive), then I get the same error.

***My internal drive went out several months ago, prompting me to get the 350G drive I'm currently using. The internal drive shows up on the "settings/storage" list, but cannot be formatted.*** Until this update came out, I was connecting to Live and streaming Amazon Prime often.

Thank you for your help!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I was upset that this post (and many more) have not had any replies with valid help. Now I see that there are a CRAZY amount of posts with the same general issue surrounding the latest update. Obviously WE are all doing something wrong :-)

This is the 3rd such update/hard drive issue I have had (over 2 years and 2 consoles). It is time to move on...

I use my console for 30% games and 70% media/streaming. Is the "One" worth staying with Microsoft, or is the PS4 worth switching over? (Or maybe an Atari and an Apple TV)

Amy opinions from fellow users is appreciated. And good luck :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there

Welcome to the forums

I have passed this issue onto Xbox Live and Microsoft. Now they have the issue on file and are/ will look to be investergating the issue (so they say)

All I can suggest is clearing system coach and try again. Hopefully that might work

Please post back your results

Regards,

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Article Author | Windows & Xbox Insider

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no official 350 GB HDD which means yours is aftermarket.  Aftermarket HDDs are often incompatible with system updates--their FAT gets wiped making the HDD show up as unformatted.

As far as your question about the Xbox One as a HTPC I'm fairly unimpressed.  It works great if you use Xbox Video and all your media is from Xbox Video but if you're looking to stream from the PC it's actually worse than the 360 since it has absolutely zero Windows Media Center support.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry - it's actually a 320GB HDD from Microsoft. I can access it just fine from the dashboard. The internal 4GB HD is the one that crapped out and pushed me to buy this 320GB one (so I still have no access to the "unformatted" internal HD).

I can connect to Live, it downloads the update, then starts the update process before giving me the error code mentioned above. This is the same for ethernet and USB as well.

And thanks for the info about the new concole. I actually use Amazon and Netflix apps, so I assume it would be about the same as the 360 (for now, anyway). I don't mind playing games local, but no update = no Live = no Amazon streaming.

Sorry this didn't help.

You mentioned USB... to clarify are you talking about a USB connection to your modem or downloading the OS update to a pen drive and updating that way?  It may be the SSD that's giving you grief.  I have no idea why Microsoft put those things in consoles... flash memory is notoriously temperamental. 

Ah, well yes, with those services performance will be similar though I do believe Netflix has a higher resolution on the Xbox One... not sure with Amazon.

Sorry this didn't help.

I downloaded the update to an 8GB USB thumb drive. It accesses it upon restart, starts the upgrade, and then goes to the same error code.

Is the console forced to upgrade to the 4GB internal drive? I cannot format mine and use the 320 drive. But are system updates able to utilize the HDD (do I need to specify that particular HD even though it's the only available one)? I have cleared the cache on the 320 drive several times.

Sorry this didn't help.

While they will keep telling you to" clear your cache" and "remove and replace your hard drive", the reality is that they have the ability and your permission to damage your hdd by inserting code during an update.

From section 1.9 xbox live user agreement

“You agree that we have the right to send data, applications, or other content to any software or hardware you are using to access the services, for the  purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification and/or disabling the modified device.”

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there

Thanks for the reply

The Policy and Enforcement Team will only send that type of Update to your Hard Drive, if you have Violated the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct. When they so send something out like that, they will also send you an email regarding why they have taken that sort of action onto your Xbox 360.

However, Support have said to try this option to see what happens with the console and the problem

Could you please unplug your Xbox 360 and everything that is connected to it. After you have done this, you will need to inject the Hard Drive for the console. For help with this, please follow the instructions within the article bellow.

support.xbox.com/.../add-remove-hard-drive

After you have done this, please plug everything back into your Xbox 360. Plug everything back in, including your network cables. Then start it up again. After you have done this, you should then see the Hard Drive back in the Storage area, and it should be formatted back to the Xbox 360.

All of this information has been handed down from phone support, and they say it should work with this. However if it doesn't work, please feel free to ring support your self or keep posted to the forums for more troubleshooting steps.

Please post back any results back from this step. I hope this helps you,

Regards,

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Article Author | Windows & Xbox Insider

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delay in replying... bad weather in the midwest.  I'm not sure if the update forces itself onto the flash memory (though I suspect that's why they put it in there in the first place).  You could try formatting a USB stick to work as a storage device, remove the HDD and try to update that way.  It's possible your drive has failed.

Sorry this didn't help.