Error Code 80169cf9 (Adding an XBL Prepaid Card)

Hi All,

Appreciate any insight folks may have here. Long story short, I currently have a 12 month prepaid card running my XBL account. I recently cancelled the auto-renewal / credit card that was associated with the account as it was long expired and I often have an overflow of prepaid cards (I had 3-4 years' banked at one time).

Tonight, I purchased a Titanfall bundle which included a prepaid 12 month XBL card. I went to add it to my account and received error 80169cf9, which basically says you can't add another card unless auto-renewal is turned on.

SO, I added a new payment source and went to turn on auto-renewal, but it acts like its going to charge me for a years' worth of XBL when turning on the auto renewal (which obviously I don't want to pay).

Question: Does anyone know if turning on the auto-renewal will charge me? Xbox chat support was very unhelpful on the matter.

I really appreciate your help!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

What happens when you remove a credit card on your account that was associated with your subscription is that it basically sets it up to revert back to a free silver account once your subscription runs out since the credit card is gone. You can either wait until your subscription you have runs out and then use the code you have or switch you active subscription to the new credit card you put on your account and then you should be able to go ahead and redeem your code.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bom dia!

Caro usuário do XBOX, caso você tenha adquirido um cartão pré-pago do XBOX LIVE GOLD e queira acrescentá-lo em sua conta, que foi adquirida via cartão de crédito, você só conseguirá fazer isto se não tiver removido o cartão de crédito. Caso tenha removido o cartão, então espere o dia da renovação da conta pra inserir o código pre-pago. Foi desta forma que conseguir resolver o problema.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.