Error code 80151901

Hello xbox support,

I had recently bought myself a white xbox 360. I sold my old xbox a while back since I needed the money but I grew to regret the decision and bought myself another xbox a year later. I bought a 3 month xbox live gold membership and was able to play with old friends for the first day. Then the second day while I was playing, I got logged out while in a game and lost connection. When I tried connecting back to xbox live it displayed the error code 80151901. I immediately searched the error code and have been following the step by step instructions you have left for other customers. none of them have worked for me. Some accounts state that they are able to stay online for a few minutes before losing internet connection but for me I can not even connect a single time. The same problem seems to occur where it is an IP address error.

My connection is through ethernet cable into my laptop in which I connect to the internet. I am not very wealthy so I decided to take a cheaper way of connecting to the internet as opposed to having to buy a $60 adapter. If need be, I will purchase a wireless adapter but that doesn't seem to be the problem since other loyal customers seem to poses similar faults regardless of connection method.

I am asking for help in connecting online again so I can enjoy what I have missed so much. I have literally had the chance to only play online for 3 hours at max before coming in contact with this despicable error. It was a bittersweet return but please help me solve this problem. Thank you

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hello SneakyMilk5287,

I've been seeing this problem floating around a lot lately but their isn't an actual Xbox Support error solution for it at the moment.

So this isn't a verified solution but I have seen some people fix it this way. On your Xbox go to Settings > System > Initial Setup, Select Yes, Follow the Steps (What it does is reset your internet settings on your xbox). It should connect after it click the Next button then select Go Play and you should see your account.

Let me know if this works or not, if not we will try to find something else.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello TragicSkies,

thank you for your response but I have tried that method and it refused to connect still.

The methods I have tried are: turning off my console for 30 seconds then back on, unplugging my router then plugging it back in, checking my IP address (Which would begin with 169 on my xbox using automatic setup which means that it is unable to connect.) I tried using a manual setup but then an error comes up saying that it can not connect using a static IP address, clearing my system cache twice, and the initial setup.

I am afraid to delete my profile then redownload it since I have seen a post where someone did that and it did not work, thus they were not able to recover their profile which is quite unfortunate. Instead I moved my profile and saves onto an external storage device (usb drive) then formatted my xbox's hard drive which cleared everything out. But it still did not work.

Thank you for your suggestions though. Anything is worthwhile trying

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again SneakyMilk5287,

Ah totally understandable how frustrating this could be. This is typically a problem related to the relationship between a certain IP address and PortMapping on your router.

It is suggested that you try with a basic solution, restore your Xbox network settings to factory defaults. Here are the steps to do so:

Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
Select Network Settings > Select Wired Network if you are prompted to do so > Select the Additional Settings tab > Select Restore to Factory defaults

Re-configure your Xbox wireless settings and hopefully the error has gone away. If not, try set your console's network settings, IP address and DNS manually.On your computer, click Start, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

Note: If you’re using Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

At the prompt, type ipconfig/all, and then press ENTER.
Find your network connection (for example, look for something called "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Adapter Local Area Connection"). Write down the numbers for the following items:

IPv4 address (or IP address)

Subnet mask

Default gateway

DNS server(s)

Now you have to select an IP address for your Xbox that is not within the dynamic range of the DHCP server. For example, If your computer's IP address is 192.168.1.7, use 192.168.1.107 for the Xbox.

Navigate to Xbox network settings and manually configure IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS settings from the numbers you've typed in earlier.

This method if it works, may cause a conflict with UPnP if the feature is enabled on the router. Which could result in a moderate NAT restriction, which is better than having no connection at all in my opinion.

Let us know if this solves your problem or if you have tried these steps and need more assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Still having that error code pop up, over a month long now. I believe it's the Xbox itself at this point, though I don't understand why it'd randomly break when it hasn't been dropped or anything, my only guess is it's in Microsofts software within the console, through an update or something they broke the thing, it's the only device on my network that can't connect to the internet.

Sorry this didn't help.

hey fangs its not a console problem. i think its more on microsofts end. its been happening to my son's xbox and mine within the last 3 days. i am able to log in but then we get booted and get the error code.we can log in after a few minutes but its constant.  i want to put out there that we both use wired connection and that my son's xbox is brand new and he just got it for christmas. also i feel its not my internet because everything else works fine like my pc, cell phone and my ps3 which is wireless.

Sorry this didn't help.