Error: Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem

I was using my Xbox 360 Slim yesterday and was able to play online (Final Fantasy XI Online) as well as games like Dragon Age II (which requires server connection to the Dragon Age Servers to upload character data etc; the same thing happens with the Mass Effect games), and everything was working fine. Then last night I tried to connect online, and found I was unable to.

After running a Xbox Live Test Connection, I was still getting error messages. Tried the three methods listed as possible solutions (Reset Modem, Check IP Address etc), and after getting the same error message (Unable to connect to Xbox Live or w/e), I was then told to go to www.xbox.com/networkhelp, and from there went to the "Error: Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem". Now, after going through ALL the possible solutions listed there (I rang up my ISP and got them to do a check of my connection etc; according to them it's working fine, which if it wasn't I wouldn't be posting this here now), I still can't connect online.

Please, is there any way to rectify this? Like I said, everything was working fine yesterday afternoon, then last night... this happens. Being unable to use my console to play some of my favorite games (and with Final Fantasy XI having to pay $35 AUSD a month subscription.... and NOT being able to play it...), due to this... 'problem', is annoying me greatly. Please help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 148 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry ignore my other post I didn't see this one Before sending back your Xbox lets rule everything else out first

Please read:- forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

And post back your details in full (the bits that are in bold on that post) so that people may help

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

try to shutdown your router, wait for a minute and then turn it on.

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies for the post in that other thread Shad0wmanUK. I'm unaware of how this forum responds to regular thread bumps, as on other forums I'm a member at, it's generally accepted to bump a thread after a set amount of time has passed (a day or so). Anyway....

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Australia, Western Australia

Modem brand & model number: Swire? 2071-A (supplied by ISP; USB + Ethernet port)

Router brand & model number: N/A

Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired Wired

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? N/A

Things you have tried:

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown Unknown

Is NAT Type Open? Yes

Any Error Codes you encounter:

What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? DSL

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Telstra Bigpond

When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? I get the following error message:

"There's a problem with your connection. Select More Info for a description of the problem and how you can fix it."

Turn off modem/router for 30 seconds, then reboot and try Test Xbox Live Connection again.

Can't connect to your network hardware using a static IP address.

Your console currently has a manually-defined IP address that may be wrong. Most routers can automatically assign an IP address. If you're not familiar with networking, you can get help with IP addresses at www.xbox.com/networkhelp.

Do you want to set your IP settings to automatic?

(This was changed to manual settings, per Solution 4: Set your IP settings taken from Error: Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem page on Xbox support.com)

Your router may be filtering out your console's MAC address.

(This was edited as per Solution 5: (modem connection only): Set an alternate MAC address taken from the same page as above.)

Finally;

There may be some additional solutions available online at www.xbox.com/networkhelp.

I went to that site, and on the main page clicked on the link for:

"Error: Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem" Link: support.xbox.com/.../error-cant-obtain-ip-address-router-modem.aspx.

Now, I followed all the 'solutions' listed on that page and none of them worked. I also called my ISP provider, explained the problem to them and after they had run some connection tests and also took into account that while my Xbox 360 was unable to connect to Xbox Live, I could still have my computer hooked online and search websites etc, so they ruled out the modem/DSL connection would be at fault (even the consultant I spoke to at Xbox Support agreed with that assessment. Aside from leaving this post here on the forums, I also went to Xbox Support@Twitter and asked for advice there. Ultimately, I was referred to calling the Xbox Support centre, which I did... and after explaining the problem and all the 'possible solutions' I tried (and how none of them worked), I was told that a work order would be put through and for me to send my Xbox 360 Slim console in for repair.

All of the above I have done, and from what I've read online at xbox.com/networkhelp etc... I've done all I can. Any help/advice... would be appreciated. I just hope that my backup Xbox 360 (yes, I have a backup due to the &$%(!! RROD on one of my other Xbox 360 consoles (I've had 4, including the Slim), so I made sure I had a Xbox 360 Pro as backup.) works fine.

@x10der: I tried that, didn't work. I even cleared my system cache as well... no dice.

Sorry this didn't help.

Phew.. ok.

So are you saying that you have a second Xbox and that connects to Xbox live fine?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I do have a second Xbox, but I'm unsure if it'll connect or not (family member is borrowing it). I'll know tomorrow when I get it back if it'll connect or not.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok fair enough

In  the meantime....

• Have you ever been able to connect to live with this setup?
  • Your ADSL modem  has one USB port and one Ethernet is that correct?
  • When your PC accesses the Internet do you need to click on "dial up" icon before you can connect, which contains a username/pasword to connect to the net? Or are you "always on/connected" on your PC as soon as it starts up?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote]Have you ever been able to connect to live with this setup?[/quote]

Via Ethernet cable? Yes, for the last 5 years I've used two ethernet cables (one was a replacement) to connect my console directly to the modem to use Live.

[quote]Your ADSL modem  has one USB port and one Ethernet is that correct?[/quote]

That is correct. Reason I don't use a USB cable, is just due to the fact that the modem is in a different room, so I use a 20 metre Ethernet cable to connect my computer/console online.

[quote]When your PC accesses the Internet do you need to click on "dial up" icon before you can connect, which contains a username/pasword to connect to the net? Or are you "always on/connected" on your PC as soon as it starts up?[/quote]

I'm "always on/connected".

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks

Apologies for the basic questions but. Have you tried:-

1. Going into the Xbox network settings and running the "factory defaults setting"
  2. Powering off the modem,
  3. Disconnecting the PC from the USB port (assuming the PC is also plugged)
  4. Connect the Xbox to the Ethernet port of the modem
  5. Powering up the modem
  6. Wait 1 min
  7. Power up the Xbox and test

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup... That was the first thing I did ^^

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok

Well it is looking more and more likely that its a faulty Xbox. It is best to be sure though as it is very rare IMO to see faulty Xboxes showing the ip failed message but I have seen it before, you can also get this message if you have unnecessary details in the PPPoE part of your Xbox network settings but if you've reset the settings they should be empty anyway.

If your other Xbox works fine on your modem when you get chance to test it that would indicate to me your current Xbox is certainly faulty, you could further confirm that (if you wanted) by taking it to a friends house and plugging it into their router, if it also fails with the same message you have your unfortunate answer.

Sorry this didn't help.