Error 831188FE

I just got a challenge when logging in to Xbox live for my username/password.  Upon successfully entering a username and password combo, I got error 831188FE.  I followed the instructions and deleted my profile, re-downloaded my profile and restarted my console.  It gave the same error.  I re-read the instruction and saw that I also need to clear my system cache three times.  I then repeated the steps and was able to log in.  So my questions are:

1. Why is it suddenly asking for my username/password when it hasn't in nine years? 

2. Why, when entering a correct password, do I still get an error?

3. How often is it going to ask me for my username/password?

4. Will it continue to give me an error when I enter the correct username and password and will I still have to:

• Delete My Profile
  • Clear the system cache three times
  • re-download my profile
  • Re-start my console?

Also, the error message directs you to account.live.com for "Help."  However, upon signing in, there is no "Help" link of help or any indication that there is a problem, just my account details.  Could you please let me know for the future where on account.live.com I should go for sign-in help for xbox live?

Thank you for your prompt attention.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi Vulpes,

Great questions.

1. Why is it suddenly asking for my username/password when it hasn't in nine years? -We have upgraded our security measures, and have made Proofs required. To add proofs, you must know your password to securely access your account. 

2. Why, when entering a correct password, do I still get an error? -Not sure. Have you setup Two-Factor Authentication recently? If so, you may need to enter your 'App Password', as opposed to your MSA password. 

3. How often is it going to ask me for my username/password? - That is up too you. You can set it to ask for your password each time you login, or you can have it auto-login every time. 

4. Will it continue to give me an error when I enter the correct username and password and will I still have to: - Once you have your proofs setup properly, you should not have to perform these steps to login. 

• Delete My Profile
  • Clear the system cache three times
  • re-download my profile
  • Re-start my console?

I hope this helps clear things up, but let us know if you have anymore questions. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.