Error 8016FE6D - Something needs to be done already!

Quite a few users (including me) are getting the Error 8016FE6D when changing your GT to a new Microsoft account.  The account I am wanting to switch to does not have a gamertag (and confirmed this with Microsoft).  I have the new account as my sign in for my laptop and my new nokia 1020 phone.  The old account is over 30 days old since the last switch. 

I tried for about two weeks now and everytime I try to switch I get the Error 8016FE6D.  I do not have any account balances in either Microsoft account.

• Why cannot we change our accounts through either the Xbox One or a website?  Why must it be done on a Xbox 360?
  • Why am I getting this error?  Microsoft has not yet provided a reason why and it's not even listed in the error code lookup section

This is preventing me to purchase any xbox games on my laptop and phone since it wants me to create a gamertag if I try to purchase with my new account.  You can't have a GT associated with the new account for the switch to work.

I cannot believe Microsoft has not fixed this already, I have read posts that are 6+ months old.  I was on the phone for an hour with Microsoft with no real answer, just to wait for another 30 days.  I find this totally unacceptable and I believe everyone here deserves to have these questions answered by Microsoft.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 23 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I VERY STRONGLY agree.  I have been getting the exact same behavior as LoneRebel.  I've been trying for over 4 months to switch my gamertag to a different Microsoft Account and every option I try ends up in extreme frustration and failure.  This should be a SIMPLE task - the equivalent of changing the user name or email address on any other website's account...but it is impossible here.

1) It is not necessary to have a 30 day waiting period "for security reasons"

2) It IS necessary for tech support to have the ability to make changes to a user's account upon request by the user - especially when there are no other options

Hey Microsoft, WAKE UP...FIX THIS ISSUE NOW!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm in the same case as you, and no one could even tell me what's the problem ... This is really annoying >_>

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this error too!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've also been having this issue for over a month, and it's also the case that the account I want to move my gamertag to is setup with my 8.1 laptop and with my Windows phone, the Lumia Icon (actually I've noticed with most people getting this message they want to move it to the same account with their computer and/or phone). First Xbox support chat rep told me it was because of my Office subscriptions and had me first switch it to a new "dummy" account, wait the 30 days, then move it to the account I wanted (which was definitely over 30 days old, didn't have an Xbox association, etc.). Tried that but still got the same 8016FE6D error message. Went back to chat support and this rep had me try clearing the system cache and doing a hard reboot first and trying it one last time. Once again, it gave the same message. This was what the rep then told me:

"Drat. I'm reading up on this error code and it is looking like a whole new world of error codes. The issue needs to be escalated. Though, currently we are unable to do escalations through chat. I would have you call in and (sadly explain the situation one more time) But just basically tell them that you need to get the issue escalated for a broken account. From there, they might try some troubleshooting, though I hope not, because everything that I am reading here just basically says to get Microsoft to look at it and have the Advocacy team handle it."

So it's pretty much the error code from hell. As you can see from what I was told, the only thing they could tell me to do at this point was call to have this issue escalated and that the more people who call in about it and have it escalated, then the more likely the "big dogs" in the company will give it attention. Here's the number for the support team I was given: 1-800-469-9269. Make sure that when you call you get them to escalate the issue. Maybe if they get bugged to death over it somebody will finally fix it.

Though I very much agree, they should have it to where they can go into our accounts with our permission to fix problems like this if needed. It's wasted a lot of time going through all of this to fix it. Not to mention I've missed out on discounts on certain games on my phone that require an Xbox account before I can even buy them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

I have also the same Error 8016FE6D. I was following the guideline here: support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account

but failed on the above error.

the new account I want to switch to is "empty" means no gamertag associated with.

Did anyone got a solution or reply on this yet?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting the same error too, this needs to be escalated and fixed.

Nothing

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, I've been trying for months and MS is no help

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey everyone,

we are looking into this error code a bit more and hope to have more info in the future, but until then can everyone try the steps below?

1. Sign into account.live.com with your current Microsoft Account
  2. Select Aliases on the left pane
  3. Under Account aliases click the button to Add alias
  4. Select the radio button for Create a new email address and add it as an alias if you have not created a new email address OR add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias if you already have one without a Gamertag associated to it
  5. Enter your desired username and click Add Alias

Hopefully this helps until we know more. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues!

Sorry this didn't help.

Nice to see official support looking into this. But I'm a bit confused as to how adding an alias would help? The Microsoft account I'm trying to move my gamertag to already has a few aliases on it. Are you suggesting trying to use the alias address rather than the primary to switch it to the account we want it on? I tried that just then with one of the aliases I already had and it didn't work.

A user in another thread about this said they finally had theirs fixed. And it seemed to be the result of having both personal account and business account subscriptions, like when you go to commerce.microsoft.com and look at your account. Checking into this I found that my account that I'm trying to move my gamertag to also has a business account listing which turned out to be where I have a subscription to Office 365 University. This is the thread I was referring to where one use got this issue solved: forums.xbox.com/.../1683425.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Well it's been 3 weeks since it has went to Tier 3 support and heard nothing.  When I contacted them last week they said they were still looking into it.  What BS.  They just don't care.  On top of that it's so damn frustrating that I have to repeat the whole scenario again even after I give them the incident support number.  

Sorry this didn't help.