Endless Update Loop, Corrupted OS?

Last night while playing Shadows of the Damned my console froze up. When I reset it a message came up saying that a system update was a available from Xbox Live and that I needed to download it. When I did download it and the system reset after applying it the same message came up again. 

"That's odd," I thought, "The update must not have installed correctly. I'll try again." So I did. The same thing happened. I assumed this meant Microsoft had rolled out a new update and the implementation had gone a little wrong somewhere. Better just play offline until they get it fixed in a couple of days. So I clicked No, to decline the update. This is when the real trouble started, a message popped up saying:

"Some Xbox 360 features are either corrupt or missing. A system update is necessary to replace them" 

This got me really worried. So I tried installing the update again but it just got stuck in the same install loop. The same thing happened when I tried updating from USB. Clearing the cache does nothing. None of my content works, I can't play games and eventually the system just locks up. I've managed to get things running long enough to transfer my save files to USB though, which is good. 

My question, is there a way to wipe my 360 back to default in order to fix this? Will Formatting the HDD and performing the system update via USB fix things? I'm using a 360-S 250GB system btw. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 72 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I just got the same issue explained here:

"Some Xbox 360 features are missing or corrupt. A system update is required to replace them. Your console will now restart. If the problem persists there may be a problem with your storage device. For more info, visit www.xbox.com/support."

The console was bouncing between the error message and the same update process in an endless loop. After removing HD, kinect, etc, I could open the main menu. But as soon I slide to the Games tab it freezes again. If it is a software problem then Microsoft should provide a simple way to fix this. Don't they have master disks able to dash the internal memory to the initial state??? sending the XBOX360 to repair costs almost the same as buying a new one. If i could just reach the settings tab and try what BattFink proposed:

System Settings -> Memory Screen

X,LB,RB,X,LB,RB,X

Thanks

[quote user="Captain Fargle"]

I genuinely completely forgot that option existed! Thanks!

[/quote]

Not a problem, that's one of the best features that I always use when possible.

24 hours? Really? I've never heard of having such a delay on email before. Ah well. Nothing to do but be patient I guess.

[/quote]

Well normally they tell you to wait between 24 - 48 hours.

It's still under warranty and I'd rather not void that by disassembling it. I'll just have to wait for the repairs.

If they did tell me to wait 24 hours then I must have missed it. Ah well. If it's not here by Monday morning I'll call Support.

[/quote]

Sonic Scream is right, I have been there too and it can be frustrating to wait for the email and the shipping details etc, we actually bought a pre-owned spare, and it's in the cupboard,,,, just in case.

Worst case should be you have to call Monday and chase it up, but they're usually pretty good.

Okay, I have a problem. I've submitted a repair request and asked to receive the Shipping Label via email, but no email has arrived. What do I do?

Before you ask, no it is not caught in my spam filter.

[/quote]

As mentioned wait for the email, it can take time, or call support if you like, it's freephone.

Now I don't need to worry about hilariously pathetic achievement whoring in Sonic 06 being interrupted for a month!

Yeah, I'm digging out the older unit that I had before I upgraded to the Slim. Even though I did the content license transfer to the new unit I can still access my content on the other machine as long as I'm signed in right?

[/quote]

Yep, you will be able to access them, provided you are connected to Xbox LIVE.

Yeah, I'm digging out the older unit that I had before I upgraded to the Slim. Even though I did the content license transfer to the new unit I can still access my content on the other machine as long as I'm signed in right?

[/quote]

Yup, you have to on live, better than nothing and going into withdrawl lol.

A similar thing happened to me.  It was really irritating, but I fixed it.  All I did was transfer all my important stuff that I couldn't download again to a flash drive, and then format my hard drive.  After updating on restart, everything was fixed.  I transferred my stuff back to my hard drive and all was well.  No more obnoxious update loop.