Elite controller is trash and who pays for it? We do

I bought an elite controller not even 7 months ago the right bumper broke. Its hanging by sliver of plastic. I thought to myself, thats cool, I'm sure a $150 controller will have a 1 year warranty and if not, microsoft usually stands behind their products anyhow. Boy was I wrong. Not only does your new $150 controller NOT have a warranty longer than 3 months, but they wont even service the controller if the bumpers break. The only thing covered are the machined, solid aluminum pieces that cant break anyhow (d-pad, paddle triggers, and thumbsticks)! Imagine that... the cheapest quality components in the elite controller are the very thing they wont fix. Whats worse, is that their way of resolving the issue is to guide you over the the xbox store to BUY ANOTHER [Mod Removed - Profanity] CONTROLLER THAT WILL JUST BREAK IN ANOTHER 5-7 MONTHS (after the new warranty is gone, mind you). This isnt a standard "business practice," its a scam and a slap to the face to the people who devoutly stand behind xbox and play on their platform. People are willing to pay a whopping $150 for a controller if that controller is quality. Thats why I got one. I expected it to not only work, but to outlast the generic, basic controllers that are included with the xbox. These controllers arent quality and the skimpy 3 month warranty and lack of service options prove my point. 

I have read on several other forums, thread after thread, of the exact same issue happening from regular usage from tons of different people. All having the same issue of a failing bumper component (the right and left bumpers are just a single piece of cheap plastic that spans across the entire controller). Guess what? All of these people have went round and round with microsoft in hopes to get these controllers fixed and got the [Mod Removed - Profanity] instead. I dont get it, Instead of doing a recall and fixing the garbage bumper system, MS is letting them fly off the shelves hoping they last just long enough so that they dont have to honor any kind of warranty and then not even offer a way to repair the $3 part that is problematic and consistently breaks on so many of their controllers. Instead, they milk the consumer for another $150 for a controller that is MAYBE worth half of that.

I get that Microsoft needs to make money. Every business that wants to stay in business needs to. But when a company starts bidding out jobs to get the lowest cost for a product to sell, they need to stand by that product when it falls apart because it was made with inferior parts. This should HARDLY fall on the consumer. Especially when the product is made with shoddy craftsmanship and sold at a premier price point.

I will not buy another elite controller until mine gets replaced or repaired free of charge (which probably means that I will NEVER buy another since we all know what their warranty and service looks like). And now, I'm actually considering going over to playstation as soon as my family's two Xbox One's fail. I hate when people get screwed over by big companies like this and especially hate it when I'm one of said people.

My advice?  Dont support this type of business practice by buying an elite controller. And, if you HAVE to have one, buy it straight from best buy or walmart and tack on the 2 year warranty they offer for $10. At least with them, they'll replace it when it fails (and it will fail way sooner than you think it should). If i could do it again, I would do it like that. But since I'm already out $150, I def will not be giving MS another $150 even though having an extra 2 yr warranty would make it worth it. I'm not giving MS any more money to distribute garbage to their consumer. It isnt right and they shouldnt be rewarded for putting garbage like this on the shelves without at least standing behind their products with a reasonable warranty or affordable service options. 

I'm curious to see the numbers... 

How many other people have had their elite controllers fail under a year? Under 6 months? If you have, leave a quick response stating what failed on the controller and roughly when it did after the purchase.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You see how they don't respond? Typical.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

a mi ha pasado lo mismo,el pulsador RB,roto incluso me ha durado menos que el estandar y las gomas del agarre se estan desprendiendo por el precio que cuesta este controlador no deberia ocurrir esto

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, I got an elite controller about 6 months ago, thankfully with the 2 year replacement plan. The comfort grips arent glued on by any stretch and easily fall off. The joy stick mechanism IS THE EXACT SAME in the standard controllers. So if you got this 150$ trash to not deal with stick drift, think again. The bumpers are a solid piece of plastic held by tension wire (inferior quality to even the standard controller) The thing isnt worth 60$ let alone 150. This company [Mod Removed - Profanity] and I pray someone opens a class action against them for marketing [Mod Removed - Profanity] tech for higher prices. There is nothing about this controller you want. The extra buttons and trigger locks arent worth it. Get this garbage tech if you really have 150$ burning a hole in your wallet. Otherwise, stick with the standard controllers or literally anything else.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I had a 360 controller; I could HONESTLY slam it as hard as I could SO MANY times.(Probably close to a 100x over the coarse of the 360s life)

I owned 4 controllers over those 5-7 years, no more no less. Two "broke" both slightly moves the left stick without input I believe from running so much in CoD, more so then from slamming it. That's how much faith I had in the 360

I could still use them [Mod Removed - Profanity] the dmg was so slight.

Will be sticking with Nintendo and Sony from here on out, next gen; You lost over a 10 year loyal customer MS that spends on average over 2k a year on games alone.

Now on Xbox One I BARELY slammed my first elite controller, and it literally exploded in pieces. (By barely I literally mean I raised my arm and dead weight dropped me arm, zero force used 99.9 was gravity from a 8-9ft drop. 

No I'm not "stronger" now 5-7years later. Considering I was in my prime 5-7 years ago, and I did have a devastating car accident that left my primary arm with atrophy forcing me to work it out with tiny weights to maintain my arm if not my whole arm will curl up and I wont be able to use it. An average female could beat me at arm wrestling. (Atleast my primary arm, don't think so on my left)

Despite hitting extra thick carpet with extra thick padding. 

Didn't even bother to check warrenty because I already knew how it was gonna go.

REALLY liked the paddles though so I got another, and noted to not throw it again; As they are no where near as strong as the 360. 

Not 6months later my R.Bumper made a snapping noise while I was picking up a halo 3 sword in a panic clicking the right bumper SLIGHTLY harder than normal but CERTAINLY not hard enough to put blame of the break on me. TRASH CONTROLLING HORRIBLY MADE. YOU CANT THINK PRESSING BUTTONS SLIGHTLY HARDER OUT OF PANIC ISN'T NORMAL; EVERY PERSON GOES THROUGH THIS WHEN GETTING INTO THERE GAMES.

Don't get me started on the normal controller; The piece of [Mod Removed - Profanity] comes out of the box broken 100% of the [Mod Removed - Profanity] time!

Xbox 360 controllers owned/bought: 4! four! FOUR!

Xbox one controllers owned/bought: 8 (two of which wasn't even broken, I just assumed with how trash the USB C connection was.

Looking at the [Mod Removed - Profanity] female usb on the controller... ITS NOT EVEN [Mod Removed - Profanity] LINED UP PROPERLY HAHAHAHAHA TRASH! IV'E REVERTED BACK TO RECHARGEABLE DOUBLE AAs LIKE ITS 2009!!

NOT EVEN GONNA ASK FOR ANOTHER SO DONT EVEN OFFER NOT THAT YOU WILL.

SHOVE THE PIECE OF [Mod Removed - Profanity] UP YOUR [Mod Removed - Profanity] BILL; HIRE SOME FACTORIES IN AMERICA INSTEAD OF CHINA!

CHINA!! CHINA!!! EVERY SINGLE PART MADE!!!! TOP FIVE MOST RICH YET KING!!! THE [Mod Removed - Profanity] KING!!!!! OF [Mod Removed - Profanity] CHEAPSCATE!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Forgot to mention 98% of the time the thing that broke on the 360 controllers was the not even 5 dollar battery pack.

The controller was GOD-LIKE

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Heya,

I have the same problems with Scuff controllers. Paid $180 for one controller + customs and they look and feel great, until 6 months. I have had two Scuffs and both of them COMPLETELY broke after 1 year. 

So, now I play competitive games on mouse & keyboard and chill games on controller.

Speak soon,

Nescio

Xbox Ambassador | Insider Beta Ring | Content Creator, Tester and Scout at 020games

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had my Elite controller since day 1 of release and it has never failed on me. Sorry to hear about your issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its absoltely inexplicable to me why so many people have issues with the elite. I got mine since release and have no issues. Only the analog sticks shows wear and tear but thats normal due too much gaming :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't justify spending that much on any controller. When it comes to the Elite controller I see so many comments how their controller broke in 6mo so I've stayed away from buying one. I mean for $50 more you can buy a new Xbox One S with a controller that will last years.
Christyna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree that for the price the controller should last longer, but it also depends on how we use and care for it, the more care we take with the controller the longer it will last.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2023 Views 48 Applies to: