Elder Scrolls Online

Do you all think ESO will have a good player base on Xbox One?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

At least at the start it will. Then people will begin to question if they want to pay the ESO subscription on top of the Gold Subscription.

I think a lot of people have questioned that, including myself. As much as I loved Skyrim, I can't really justify paying monthly for ESO. I'm likely going to wait see if it goes free to play someday.

Xbox Ambassador | Xbox Forum Moderator | Xbox MVP

My excitement is tempered, but not because of the monthly fee, it just seems like a game with such a massive scope.  I want to see to watch/read some reviews once it is released.

I haven't played an ES before and unfortunately I had watched the ESO trailer before I found out they were going to charge for it. I love my games as much as the next guy but like I have said, if they want to charge me a monthly fee then they better give me the game for free lol.

Someone on another forum made a good point.

They said the Elder Scrolls games work because you are the centre of the universe. If you want to steal all the plates in the kingdom and store them in one house, you can.

Yet in an MMO, you aren't the centre any more. You have to share with others. Does making the Elder Scrolls into an MMO detract from the point of the series?

i don't know how the chat system will work, but if there's not a voice chat option then it could impact the console's player base (imo).

All of the mmorpgs I played on the console had that disconnect, it was almost impossible to communicate to the other players efficiently.

Vote brings up a really good point. Consoles haven't really seen much of the MMO scene. How will users react to having to share the universe. Personally I've played very little of MMORPGs on PC. I sometimes find them overwhelming. Like there are so many people and so much to do that I don't know what to tackle first.

Xbox Ambassador | Xbox Forum Moderator | Xbox MVP

Phantasy Star Universe is probably the closest thing to an MMO the Xbox (360) in this case has seen prior to ESO. That had a required guardian license (subscription) of if I remember $10/mo and lasted about 4 years if I remember correctly. With the following this franchise has and the increased player base xbox live has now I can see it doing well. They also did proximity voice chat so you could hear other players you were near but not all of them in the area you were in. Party chat works best when grouped with others you want to chat with.

I never got round to playing PSU. PSO I loved back on the D'Cast and I would bite someones hand off if I thought if it got ported over as a free to play/w microtransactions but that's just wishful thinking. I have 'just' posted  this in another thread but the whole MMO genre seems to have some sort of paywall in one form or another. I hope they shy away from it soon and follow the path of happy wars / Ascend.

They had me until $15/month.