Elder Scrolls Online will lock-out people with used or rented copies.

So what do you think of this? A used game will not be able to play. I was gonna pass on this game anyway, but now I definitely will. I do not buy used anymore. I haven't this gen but I think it's a bad move. I know people will say "but the developer has a right to make money, blah blah blah". I still think it's shady especially since used games have been in the industry for ages. Let people sell them or trade them in if they want too. watch other devs take this route. If they do, they better stop taking the mickey out of us with DLC.

So basically when you're finished you can't sell it like you can with pretty much everything else in the world. Imagine in this day and age you buy something and then you're stuck with it. lol

Below is a link to the article as well as a few key notes:

Link

"You will need a unique game registration code in order to play the game, and used copies will not be eligible to receive a key if the code has already been redeemed," a developer said in the game's forums.

This is much the same way that it works on PC.

"The code included in the box is to activate your ESOTU account and the discs are for installation purposes," Zenimax said. "If you own the disc but don't have a key, you'll be able to install the game and reach the login screen, but you won't be able to log in and access the game without an active ESOTU account."

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have no issue with this.  The Publisher's were all for this before E3 2013.  EA was already doing a similar move with online keys.  Even S*ny (who changed their E3 2013 presentation on the fly after the Xbox backlash) and obviously Microsoft back in 2013 were going to try and support the idea.

I see your point Brandiesel1.  I hardly buy used or new second hand games.  We have lost to many good or solid studios to used games.  38 Studio's and Big Huge games made a solid RPG in Kingdom's of Amalur Reckoning.  THQ went under and they had a couple solid games.  CryTek is dying.  And Square Enix is hardly afloat.  

I say oh well.  Let's see how this works.

^^ If it happens to all games down the road you can pretty much say goodbye to places like Gamefly etc. The only thing I can think of is if they still let you buy a used game and then purchase a new key. Depending on the cost of the key they may have to make the use copy of the game cheaper.

It will be strange seeing it implemented on consoles.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I'm indifferent about the whole thing.  I'm not buying ES:O, but will enjoy watching this play out.  I can see both sides of the argument, and I realize this is almost a test-run for devs/pubs to see if they can come out on top of the whole thing.  As Nxt pointed out, nobody wants to lose their job(s) and nobody wants their company to go under.... we'll see if this is some kind of saving grace for them.

Sorry about the late edit*  but I squeezed it in.

It would be weird for sure.  While it won't effect me, I m ow it will effect hundreds of thousands.  The single parent working 2 job's who can't afford that extra 5 dollars to buy a new copy for their child.  Or someone who wants to rent the game to try it out to see if they would like it before the purchase.  Perhaps they should give potential consumers a full access 2 day trial to see of they would like it.

I can see why they have done it with this. If it was either this or a monthly fee and i know which one i prefer.

But they removed the sub right?

^^  Yes, the sub is gone, but you can still pay to get extra goodies.  It's more of an incentive now.

"So what do you think of this? A used game will not be able to play." - brandiesel1

It's obviously a slap in the face to those who buy used games. With that said, I have no interest in this game what so ever.

If this wasnt an MMO then it wouldnt fly but if players want knew content they have to pay for it somehow.

Ahh yes the good old "unique game registration code" plan is coming back.  

I'm glad I'm completely uninterested in this game.  Fans are going to be nickel and dimed to death.