Eidos' Ian Livingstone confirms the worst for nextBox ?

Xbox 720 always-on necessity & no second-hand discs buzz verified by Ian Livingstone.

Story and video clip just posted on GameGuru.in.

He's in India promoting Tomb Raider apparently.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AN0zJop7o&feature=player_embedded]

I said it in the other thread but this ( if true ) always on internet is what's putting me off the next Xbox! There are whispers like is mentioned in this article that Sony could go down the same route, we shall see but if they don't then it will only be Sony getting my money in the next generation.

All rumours at this stage, I'll be waiting to hear the facts on all next gen console releases before deciding which one, if any, to go for.

"The optical disc is effectively water-marked and won't play on any other console." He certainly seems to be confirming it and I'm presuming he's someone who would know.

"The Xbox 720 doesn't recognise your pre-owned game. Do you take the Xbox back for a refund (turn to page 276) or do use 1 magic potion (turn to page 97)"

I'm out if it's true, plenty of other consoles to go at.

[quote user="GULLEN"]

"The optical disc is effectively water-marked and won't play on any other console." He certainly seems to be confirming it and I'm presuming he's someone who would know.

[/quote]

Like Primo said, it's all speculation at the moment but I'm a great believer in "There's no smoke without fire"  ... Like you said, he seems someone that would know, others say the same about EDGE magazine when they first reported these "always on internet" stories.

We shall see but I'll say it again, at this moment in time I'm not really looking forward to these new consoles, well not as much as I thought I would. 

I still won't believe anything until it's official.

But a couple of weeks ago my broadband must have randomly disconnected 30 times in day. If by any madness this is actually true, then I'm out. It won't be much fun trying to play a single-player if my dodgy broadband keeps messing up. Also, there must be people who still haven't got broadband, I just can't believe MS will alienate so many people and risk losing money.

On the other hand, my wallet will thank MS, saves me money and I'm happily enough with my 360/PS3.

[quote user="ImDrunky"]

I still won't believe anything until it's official.

But a couple of weeks ago my broadband must have randomly disconnected 30 times in day. If by any madness this is actually true, then I'm out. It won't be much fun trying to play a single-player if my dodgy broadband keeps messing up. Also, there must be people who still haven't got broadband, I just can't believe MS will alienate so many people and risk losing money.

On the other hand, my wallet will thank MS, saves me money and I'm happily enough with my 360/PS3.

[/quote]

Like you I'm still finding it hard to believe that Microsoft would risk alienating so many potential customers? It was mentioned in the other thread that it could be just a case that you will need to be online when you first get the game, verify the game/code etc, then you can play it offline if wanted/needed.

Also like you I'm happy enough with the backlog of games I have now, still plenty to be released so should easily keep me going well into next year and beyond. 

[quote user="Mister BuzzBee"]

Like you I'm still finding it hard to believe that Microsoft would risk alienating so many potential customers? It was mentioned in the other thread that it could be just a case that you will need to be online when you first get the game, verify the game/code etc, then you can play it offline if wanted/needed.

Also like you I'm happy enough with the backlog of games I have now, still plenty to be released so should easily keep me going well into next year and beyond. 

[/quote]That wouldn't be so bad then, but still, MS will still lose out to people who haven't got a BB connection.