EA planting Micro-transactions into all it's games.

http://shopto.net/news/42068/Ea-planting-Microtransactions-into-all-its-games#comments

EA has announced that its embedding micro-transactions into all of its PC and console games in the future.

"The next and much bigger piece [of the business] is microtransactions within games," chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said, speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference.

"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be.

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

It's a move that has certainly helped the company on mobile devices, with The excellent Simpsons Tapped Out performing much better than anyone could have expected. In this respect, money talks and it will continue to do so for EA in the future, whether that's on console or elsewhere.

"Without a doubt, you're going to see more digital business and particularly more digital components of the gameplay allowed because the ease of it will be much better and the storage capability better," Jorgensen concluded."

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It's a great model and earns a lot of money for them and a better reputation.

-

Just look at how many people praise EA for all the 'free' content for Mass Effect 3's multi-player, all while ignoring the fact that the only reason it has continued to be free is because EA are earning money from the micro-transactions.

It's not a problem when you don't have to buy them to complete a game but it's crap when they help you cheat at multiplayer like they do in the Tiger Woods games.

[quote user="Gary Mot"]

It's not a problem when you don't have to buy them to complete a game but it's crap when they help you cheat at multiplayer like they do in the Tiger Woods games.

[/quote]

I hated that on the TW games, you got the people that built up their character and others that just purchased the max stat outfits and most of the time you didn't stand a chance. 

[quote user="voteDC"]

It's a great model and earns a lot of money for them and a better reputation.

-

Just look at how many people praise EA for all the 'free' content for Mass Effect 3's multi-player, all while ignoring the fact that the only reason it has continued to be free is because EA are earning money from the micro-transactions.

[/quote]

This reads as a Pro-EA post! These are not aloud around here ;)

-

In all fairness, I agree with the Mass Effect 3 set-up. Also, you can still get the packs and what not without having to puchase them from normal play but I will admit, I did spend a couple of points on it that I had lying spare.

I have no problem with it on one way, if it's for SP items then it's fair enough even though personally I'd rather try and unlock it myself through play but as mentioned just don't like when people have the ability to unlock certain items that gives you an advantage when playing online.

I'd rather have microtransactions than the price of games going up.... s'fine by me....

Any games that do offer transactions for stuff that lets you bypass levelling up or gives high end in-game stats/equipment I just don't play, or only play in private games...

Didn't Fight Night have micro-transactions that were essentially pay to win? Those are the worst kind of micro-transactions.

[quote user="Inapplicable"]

Didn't Fight Night have micro-transactions that were essentially pay to win? Those are the worst kind of micro-transactions.

[/quote]

Dunno, got a corrupted save on the last installment so gave up on it... Pay to Win is crap tho...

It did indeed Inapplicable, you could buy stats and put them onto your online character, the online was ruined before it even started. Micro transactions don't bother me but for stuff like that, its not needed.

I didnt even notice there were micro transactions in Dead Space 3,  and I have no problem with them in Mass Effect 3 as its basically horde,  I think its a bit unfair when they are allowed in competitive MP for those who like to play MP.