EA: Call of Duty has had it too Easy

Battlefield 3 will give Activision's Call of Duty series the first real competition it's had "in a long time," EA's bullish Labels boss Frank Gibeau has stated.The newly-promoted exec told CVG that he feels DICE's impressive-looking FPS contender will "definitely" take market share from Call of Duty this Christmas. "We're going for it," he added. "We don't take things lightly. If we're going to go after a category, we intend to lead. We have a very big competitor there but they're going to get some competition this Christmas for the first time in a long time."We're all in. We're going for it. How you measure victory, I don't know. What I'm curious about is how the game is going to finish from a quality standpoint - I think it's going to be great." He continued: "We're going to take share from them and I think we're going to grow the business significantly. We're going to give them competition for the first time that they haven't had. "This morning Activision released its debut multiplayer trailer for Modern Warfare 3, and CoD critics descended on YouTube to stamp it with negative 'dislike' votes. But Gibeau doesn't list Call of Duty haters on EA's bullet point list of strengths, but rather Battlefield's advanced technology base, development time and the experience of long-term studio DICE. "We like to think that we've got a pretty powerful game offer with the technology base that is brand new, next generation and should set new standards for what happens in FPS," he said. "We're excited about and we're really proud of the Battlefield 3 game. It's coming together very well and the quality and technology is something that you can just see on screen. The DICE guys have the pedigree of building some spectacular games. "This Christmas we're definitely going to take market share in the FPS category from those guys," he concluded. "Customers like competition, they like these kind of heavyweight fights so we're going for it." Source = http://www.computerandvideogames.com/317575/ea-call-of-dutys-had-it-too-easy/

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

FFS...apologies for wall of TEXT!!!....for the first year, a COD title does finally have strong competition....and one that could truly make COD look like a tired franchise...much like in the early days of COD when it did the same thing to the Medal of Honour franchise....Karma is a *** lol

TL;DR, but Battlefield 3 looks superb. Too long has this genre being oversaturated with constant clones of the same game (Homefront, Medal of Honour). This games looks like a genuine effort to foreward the genre into the next generation. On PC at least.

Has everybody forgotten the fact that EA will have dedicated servers, free map packs and a free stats tracker etc. over Activision.  Im still buying both and i prefer battlefield over cod.

COD series has offered nothing new or innovative in years, and all the games look the same.

It sells because the multiplayer is popular, even though imo,  having played MW2 online, it's the most overated unbalanced piece of trash on xbox.  People like it because it's so easy to play, personally i find that MW2 is the most annoying game i've ever played.

So far from footage i've seen, Battlefield 3 looks like a game of much higher quality.   I  hope COD fails and becomes a complete mess, and all the idiot fanboys start raging.

Just read through this on CVG,

In a way COD has had it easy from a my point of view (copy 'n paste the previous game and increase the number in the title).

Im not going to puchase MW3 due to what i've seen of the trailers/ gameplay also whats happened with past IW games (rarely or no support from IW).

The only time i remember one of IW COD games got patched/ supported is when people complained about the Models in MW2.

[view:[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emwEknzmyRo]] Reason why EA are so confident

Looks awesome.

Be nice if EA could stop going on about how it's going to be better than CoD though, they're starting to sound like a broken record and the only people that care are the rabid fanboys (of both franchises).

Well its the EA way of marketing...its the "yeah we know what you're doing but come have a look at what we got"....and lets face it, the fact that COD is having its own Game Experience weekend going on this week with tickets at $150 each (all going to charity supposedly) is way more...shouty then anything EA is doing

Im sure EA said that Medal of Honour was going to be the COD beater and i wasnt even tho it was released after the worst cod in the franchise.

I do hope BF3 is good (i believe it will be very good) as i have pre-ordered that instead of COD this year but as mentioned in above posts i would rather EA tried to sell me the game by what the game is offering rather than telling me its going to be better than COD.

No one will know for sure until both games are released which is better and even then i would ay it will come down to a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Im buying both, I'm sure I'll love both - but we all know Call of Duty will sell more. If Battlefield 3 sells more copies than MW3 in the 12 months of release I'll stop being a vegetarian !! I'm that confident... lets not forget that EA said Crysis 2 was going to be a Halo beater!!