E68 Code - Xbox couldn't find fault but still not working

Just before Xmas my Xbox froze in the middle of game. When I turned it off and on again I got an E68 code error and a solid red light. After researching the issue may be the hard drive I removed it and the console worked fine. So I tried it with another hard drive and the error occurred again suggesting it was an error with console. I booked it in for a repair and sent it to Microsoft. In the meantime I borrowed another Elite S and used my hard drive in it with no issues for 3 weeks, confirming the issues seemed to be with the console.

Yesterday it came back from Xbox saying after extensive testing they could find no fault. However after 30 minutes of plugging it back in it froze and the E68 error code showed again. Can anybody suggest where the fault is? I am going to ask MS to look at it again but if they can't find the fault am I missing anything obvious? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

My suggest would be to open another case and escalate it to Tier 2. Write off the HDD as dead and send the system in with the HDD on the second attempt. Once you have a case number, PM one of the official support staff and let them know the situation.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is the RROD (Red Ring Of Death), it is common on the old-gen XBOX consoles. It is caused by the mother-board's over-heating. I think that changing the thermal paste on both the CPU and the GPU will fix it. I think that the MS support team can enlighten you in this subject.

P.S: I strongly advise you tu buy a third-tier cooling system for your XBOX to avoid any other issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Cypherl0us"]It is caused by the mother-board's over-heating.[/quote]RRoD has many causes. There's no one particular issue.

In this case, it's not an RRoD issue as the screen is displaying an E68 error. E68 is the error code for HDD issues.[quote]I think that changing the thermal paste on both the CPU and the GPU will fix it.[/quote]You're an ambassador and you're advising him to open his 360 S console to replace thermal interface material on the XCGPU?[quote]P.S: I strongly advise you tu buy a third-tier cooling system for your XBOX to avoid any other issues.[/quote]No third party cooling device is required for a 360 S.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there dylalldridge, I want to back up IceStorm here and confirm that we never recommend performing any service to your console itself.  At best this will void your console's warranty, it can also make it worst and even render the console unserviceable.

Let me make sure I understand the situation: you get that e68 error with hard drive plugs in, but it does it with multiple hard drives?  Please try removing any other accessories you might use besides the HDD and give it another shot.

Sorry this didn't help.