E66 Error Console Banned for "Tampering"

As a preface, I've been a loyal Xbox customer for years, owning the original Xbox for years until it broke, with no less than 12 games, estimating at least $400 spent on them.  Regarding my Xbox 360, I have owned two now, both out of warranty, one I bought new, but received the "Red Ring of Death" while now out of warranty and is now unusable.  Money is tighter now, and the second one I bought secondhand. It was not console banned and was generally in good condition save for the DVD Drive [more on that later].  Regarding my Xbox 360, I've also been an avid customer of that, owning 13 games, at about $500 total.  I was newly a gold member now that I had adequate bandwidth for internet, spending no less than $100 in the marketplace.  I own a variety of peripherals, including the kinect, [3 of my games being kinect games], one original guitar hero guitar, and one squire rock band guitar [$279].  Finally, I own a Windows phone 7, purchasing about $20 worth of apps.

Overall, I'd estimate that I've spent an estimated $1300 out of my own pocket [not including the consoles] on games and components that I associate with my Xbox or Xbox live.  You'll understand my annoyance with my newest Xbox 360, as, after using it for a spell, and finally updating it, when my disk drive malfunctions [would not open].  I turned off my Xbox after updating it, and I DID open the Xbox chassis to clean the otherwise functional DVD-Drive.  I understand that the warranty that no longer covers my xbox would have been voided, however, I believe that, though I did technically lease the software that is on the xbox, I do OWN the hardware on the Xbox.  I did not tamper with the xbox, in any manner further than disconnecting the DVD Drive, cleaning it thoroughly, then reinserting the drive.  

Consequently, when I next turned on my Xbox, I was faced with an E66 Error code, and upon contacting Xbox Support, I was told that this may have resulted from updating the Console, but probably from my opening the chassis.

I understand the alternative to my action was to send the console in for a Potentially $99 repair, yet I was unwilling to do so when, cleaning the drive by hand would take less than 15 minutes, and would cost nothing.

I just wish to be able to access and play my Xbox console and games, and continue enjoying these products.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 91 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

E66 is not a console ban,
It signifies an internal error with the console most likely due to you opening it and taking out the drive.  This is why MS suggest you send them in, people think they can fix something themselves then brick their console and it ends up costing them a lot more than $99..

As you likely know because you opened the unit MS will not touch it, so a repair is not an option now even if you were willing to pay.
You will need to buy another console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The E66 is commonly an error that comes from pairing failure. This means when the drive information does not match what the console expects.

I would be willing to bet that you replaced the faulty DVD-drive in your second console with that of the one that had died from the RRoD.

Sorry this didn't help.

@voteDC I did try that, the back up disc drive only read DVD's, and I replaced the original after cleaning it, at which point I received the error.  Overall, yes, this was something I should be able to fix, as long as I take care while doing so.  Replacing broken parts, and cleaning the moving parts, should be a part of good maintenance and ownership, so I don't believe I did anything wrong in doing so, especially considering I owned the hardware

Sorry this didn't help.

Opening the console is againt the ToU OP, thats MS stance on their hardware.

12. Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Sorry this didn't help.

For the record, can I get a link to a site with the terms of use?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Err, that isn't it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to the very bottom of this page and click on Code of Conduct, then on Terms of Service in the right corner.

And just an FYI, any self repairs are considered modification and will leave your console subject to a console ban. Microsoft is the ONLY authorized repair center for their product. Just because you own the console does not mean you own the intellectual property inside of it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I suppose, the thing that irks me most about this, is that a small problem that would be easily fixed has 3 unappealing solutions:

Send it in for repair for $99

Buy another equivalent console for $100 [www.gamestop.com/.../75847]

or get Banned.

Sorry this didn't help.