E65 Error after May 2011 Update

After the first time I accepted the update I could not eject a disc that was in the drive.  The update froze forever during the "applying update" process, so I eventually turned off the xbox.  When I turned it back on, it had the E 65 error.  E 65 error is there whenever I turn it on and can't get around it.  Have been through the troubleshooter with no luck.  Now I can't get past this problem.  What's going on?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Do You have a HDD Connected? if so take it off also take out you ethernet cable so it dosent try to update when you boot up . If after you turn you Xbox back on there is no code this might mean by turning off your xbox befor the update finished the update became corrupted. Try palceing the HDD back on but no internet see if you can get to the memory menu once there press the following LB,RB,X,LB,RB,X this will uninstall the update if it works great if not im sorry i fell your pain

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately I still get the single flashing red and the E65 code with or without the ethernet connection or the HDD.  Not sure if we'll get another xbox.  This is the third failure; just too much frustration to deal with.  Good luck with yours.

Sorry this didn't help.

i get the e 65 code to what do i do i dont have a hdd

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Johncen,

If you have an original Xbox 360 (the white one), you can check out this Flashing Lights Wizard.

If you are using a Xbox 360 Slim console (the sleeker black one), I would follow these steps:

1. Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
  2. Remove the hard drive.
  3. Remove any USB flash drives.

If these steps don’t resolve the problem, you’ll need to request a repair.Sign in to request a repair or learn more about how to get your console repaired.

Let us know how it goes. 

Sorry this didn't help.