DVD playback on Xbox One have codec problems?

My X1 seem to work perfectly it plays all types of discs and reads them just fine,  blu rays look great,  however when it comes to dvd playback ive noticed what seems to be a codec software problem.  DVD boot up just fine but while watching i can notice these weird screen tear type things when certain scense start.  Its not the discs my 360 and ps3 both play them just fine.  Some dvds its not noticable unless ur looking for it but some movies its really noticable.

One movie i noticed it easily was on my stargate SG1 season 1,   also in some later scenes in the resident evil movie (the very first one).  The problem is very similar to what i use to see on dvd codecs on pc.   Im wondering if its just me and my console or maybe its just a problem the the dvd playback when using the bluray app?  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm having the same issue with my X1.  I've Blu-Rays do the same thing, though.  The first time I played Monsters University, it stuttered horribly the entire way through. The 2nd and third time? No issues at all.  SG1 does it through at least season 3 from what I can tell and I've though the same thing - maybe it's the codec.  I've played other DVDs and any stuttering is hard to make out.  One note, though, the first time I played SG1, it was MUCH worse than it is now.  After a little research, I suspect part of the problem is interpolation with 30FPM and how the shows were transferred... Meaning X1 doesn't have the full set of programming it needs to properly render and display on the fly.  I also now keep getting and audio sync issue.

Has any of this been resolved since you first posted?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nothings been resolved it is very noticable in SG1, ive seen it happen in other dvds like resident evil and harold&kumar white caslte.  Zero issues with bluray movies.  So u see it on sg1 dvds?  

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. I've been running the first disc on and off all day, sometimes it plays with almost no problem, and sometimes it hiccups several times.  What I'm seeing now is a weird thing where same image that play a few frames ago reappears again so it looks like a video "echo" for split second. I also see the "tears" people have reference and artifacts. There doesn't seem to be a distinguishable pattern to how it's occurring. I've tried every possible formula I can think of to see if something will help - bit depth, resolution, sound preferences... I do have one theory - however the SG1 set was encoded before being printed, the interpolation settings/code seems to be part of the problem. Beyond that - I still think this may be a software problem. I say because of the "tears" and and the occasion horizontal "scratches" that pop up across the screen, like some dragged a comb briefly across the picture.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a video i made for xbox support on twitter it really shows the problem at 0:25 in when it switchs from hammond to oneil you can see his head shift like the image mirrors for a sec.  It usaully happen in most scene changes.     You can also see screen tear at the first when it first show the tunnel/truck,  and some weird stutter when the paper is put into the machine.  Is this what ur exsperiancing?  maybe even try this exact episode?   Theres another episode i believe episode 15 on season 2 "matter of time"  at the first when it shows them slow mo running its EXTREMLY noticable on that scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPkMFbRxoQ0

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. I just chatted with Xbox and they escalated the case. I will get an email when they get around to it and I will post it here when I get it.

Sorry this didn't help.

What is your doin exactly computerman88?   Like the video i posted?  Was it with dvds? what movie?   Seeing that even more people are having this issue i think it may just be software that needs patched.     If you can get back to me if you hear anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

It was doing it out of the box with the Stargate SG1 seasons. They were the only thing I have tried besides Forza 5

Sorry this didn't help.

Games and blu rays work fine tho right?  ive noly noticed this with DVDs.  Maybe the X1 software has trouble with certain dvd codexs, see how some other people are experiancing it.  If so a patch can fix this,  wish i had a 2nd xbox one to see if they all do this.

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't had any issues with BD playback, but the two DVD's I've watched so far have both ended up having audio sync issues which got progressively worse as the movie progressed.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I just called support back and they recommended I send it in for repair or take it back to the store. I have not heard anything from the higher up team. I just they took a very long vacation.

Sorry this didn't help.