DVD Playback issues

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place but sorry if not.

I was away from my Xbox for awhile but while I was gone, I burned a lot of video files to DVDs thinking I could just play them on the xbox. I'm not sure if it was because I burned them as data files, but when I insert a DVD disc, it is not recognized, rather, I only get the "Open Tray" option, and in the Video Player app the "Current Disc" option is whited out, so I can't select it.

I can't re-burn or reuse these but I would still like to be able to play them on the box rather than the laptop.

The weird thing is, it DOES play video files that are data files if they are on a USB device, so I am wondering if I can get it to recognize the discs too. Thanks guys.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I take it you checked to see if the DVD would play under the same media player section used to play USB media files?

Yep. "...in the Video Player app the "Current Disc" option is whited out, so I can't select it."

If the disc you burned, is in a DVD format.. It should come up as a DVD on the Dashboard & all you need to do, is press A where it says "Play DVD" etc..

You can't play videos files burned as data files to a disc.

@Endgamez....

If it's a DVD in Video File formats, you would use Video Player..

But, if you convert the Video Files into DVD Encoded Files, Video Player won't recognise the disc & you need to play it from the Dashboard as a DVD...

[quote user="NanoTechSoldier"]

@Endgamez....

If it's a DVD in Video File formats, you would use Video Player..

But, if you convert the Video Files into DVD Encoded Files, Video Player won't recognise the disc & you need to play it from the Dashboard as a DVD...

[/quote]He stated in the very first post that he burnt them as video files to the disc not DVD video discs, pay attention.

"I burned a lot of video files to DVDs" Can mean Burning Video Files into DVD Format too, as many Burn Software does... The OP has Already stated, that "Current Disc" is greyed out... So that means, that the Video's files are in the wrong format or it is a DVD encoded disc & it is run from the Dashboard, where you press A to start a game that's in the drive etc...

The OP also went on to say that he had burned the video files as data files and you're quoting out of context.

Read his entire post and do try to keep up, Nano.

If the disc is properly formatted, the 360 will detect it as a Mixed Media Disc on the Home pane. From the Video Player, the Current Disc icon will be selectable and files on it will be playable. I tested this by burning my copy of Halo Legends from Zune to a DVD+R DL disc using ImgBurn. The disc was set to be formatted in UDF mode with the file size restriction disabled. The file plays fine when I log into Live (DRM and all...).

Sounds like RostovNexus's disc may not be properly formatted. The files have to be in a 360-compatible format as well.

Are you saying, you "Copied" Microsoft DRM Content from "Zune" to a DVD+R DL Disc to test it on the Xbox360...????