Durango no backward compatibility

can someone explain this? PowerPC vs x86 or what the reason the Blu-ray drive (if it has one) in Durango won't be able to play the DVD-disc based 360 games? clearly I don't understand enough about the internal architecture to know what I'm talking about...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

It has to do with the chips that the next xbox is using probably. According to recent rumors, there will be a xbox mini that you plug into the next xbox and that will allow you to play xbox 360 games.

Yes, the instruction set architecture (ISA) being completely different would make BC difficult/impossible. Latest rumors, however, are that there will be a new disc-less 360 this fall for $99 that can also dock to the new console and allow play of existing disc-based 360 titles.

ridiculous for MS to think that people will be dumb enough to sell their 360s just so they can buy the next one AND the add on that's required for playing older games when they can just keep their current xbox... assuming that MS doesn't send out a code that bricks them (again)

[quote user="MayhemsShadow"]ridiculous for MS to think that people will be dumb enough to sell their 360s[/quote]I don't believe MS cares if people sell their old consoles. Conventional Wisdom is that buying a used console is a bad idea.[quote]just so they can buy the next one AND the add on that's required for playing older games when they can just keep their current xbox[/quote]Given the unreliable behavior of 360 consoles, I welcome a dedicated hardware add-on that is devoid of a heat-producing optical drive. It also means all those Games on Demand people have purchased continue to be usable well after the disc-based 360 ends production.[quote]assuming that MS doesn't send out a code that bricks them (again)[/quote]There's never been a firmware update that bricked consoles by design.

If the rumors are true, I will be buying not only the top end next gen console from MS, but also the disc-less 360 add-on. That makes it very tidy to move to a new console and cut the ties to the old model.

^^ Same here. Although I will most likely keep my 360 so I can work through my backlog that stil lexists (disc wise).

the may 21st update, from two years ago WAS designed to combat piracy for the new disc format being put into use. if a person's disc drive was modified in any way, that update was able to detect that and brick the console. I know it happened to me, even tho mine wasn't modified and I was able to prove it. MS repaired it for free, of course. but that means that the update WAS designed to do that.

[quote user="MayhemsShadow"] I know it happened to me, even tho mine wasn't modified[/quote]The update you're talking about was at some point in 2011, and was not the update that added XGD3 support. That pre-XGD3 update is the only known system update that rendered some DVD drives unusable. If your console was registered MS reached out to have it replaced.

Numerous firmware updates have included DVD drive firmware updates for various models. Other than that one, none intentionally bricked drives, and none have intentionally bricked consoles. Yours is a one-off situation.

The 2 things that are needed to encourage long term owners/players are both BC machines with the history of marketplace purchases. I mean better bc then the 360, Like Wii U BC which is excellent. As a gamer there are many choices though has anybody else noticed that missing features that should be possible leads to inquisitive hackers? Just saying over the last 30 years or so.