DTS reverting back to Uncompressed 7.1

Anyone else see an issue where DTS reverts back to Uncompressed 7.1 audio everytime (or almost everytime) you turn the system on or off?  I got a Yamaha VX671 receiver that definately supports DTS (i use it on bluray no problem), and when i turn the xbox to DTS it works but usually only until i turn the system off.  Then its back on uncompressed.

Could it be the receiver is not powered up in time, so the DTS isnt initialized properly????  or something like that?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Can't help you with why it's changing on its own. But just so you know the uncompressed would sound way better than dts anyways since dts is a compression codec.

^^this^^

If your receiver can do uncompressed, it's the preferred method. DTS basically take the eight channels on the one, packages them up, compresses the data, transmits the date to the connected device, which then uses DTS algorithms to decompress and extract the original data. Versus just sending the seven channels of data direct. The later takes more bandwidth, but less processing overhead. I don't actually know if DTS uses lossy or lossless compression (maybe either is available, depending on which type of DTS is in use?). It it's lossy, then what comes out at the other end isn't exactly what went in, not that you might hear the difference.

This is odd. I only have 5.1 but I haven't noticed this.

I do have a question about using a receiver though. Are you guys applying anytime of decoder on the receiver or are you allowing it to be sent in straight. I have a Yamaha RX-V371 does True HD and DTS.

I currently have DTS selected on the Xbox One. 

Allowing it sent straight is always best if your receiver supports it.  Any encoding can create a downgrade in quality of the sound vs uncompressed which is the original file size of the audio like Lord explained. Dolby hd and master audio dts are your next best "compressed" audio streams. I think pretty much all receivers thats been out for the last 5 years would support uncompressed I would imagine. And that receiver would support it for sure.  If your only 5.1, choose 5.1 uncompressed.  Doing the 7.1 would not benefit any without the two extra speakers, and probably make it a weird mix and not sound as good.

I have an Onkyo and no problems here with the DTS reverting back to uncompressed. But DTS is definitely the way to go if you have it.

[quote user="themountainlion"] If your only 5.1, choose 5.1 uncompressed.  Doing the 7.1 would not benefit any without the two extra speakers, and probably make it a weird mix and not sound as good.[/quote]

From memory the Xbone does got give the option of 5.1. 

AFAIK if 7.1 is chosen and you only have a 5.1 home theatre the Receiver redirects the missing 2 channels to the back speakers.

BTW When I had my cable box connected the sound would revert from DTS to Stereo. Now I have disconnected the Cable box it reverts (less frequently) from DTS to uncompressed 7.1. I now leave it on uncompressed 7.1. (Receiver Yamaha DSP-Z7)

I have a Murantz sr6003  and I'm fairly certain DTS Digital Surround is the best audio quality you can get and I have the same issue reverting back to uncompressed 7.1 kind of annoying because I only have 5.1 channels and at 7.1 you loose audio.

^ Actually I think DTS-HD Master Audio is, which my receiver supports. Not sure if straight DTS is lossless. I have mine set to DTS, but might change it to uncompressed.

Yes dts master audio is the best dts. Not sure which the xbox is doing. Either way uncompressed the audio bitrate is much higher than dts master audio. Which I have tested on my bluray player before comparing dts master vs uncompressed. But master audio is considered lossless like uncompressed for what it's worth.  

I have the same exact problem. I got a new box on the way cause I didn't notice what was happening until now. When this happens to me which is pretty much daily I lose the vocal track and can't hear things. I'll explain. For instance in dead rising 3 if my audio auto reverts to 7.1 I can hear the back ground music. I can hear sound effects. But I can't hear any vocals from the characters in the game. It's like the center channel stuff just disappears. Was able to rescue by power cycling the box several times and it would work. Wasn't till after they started the process of sending me a replacement box that I noticed my audio was changing on its own. If I have the problem now and switch it back to dts while the issue is happening its instantly resolved. Wish xbox would get there audio issues worked out.