Drive read problem with Gears of War 3

Just bought Gears of War 3 tonight, and it will not play or install.

If I try to play without installing, the screen goes black and never does anything. If I try to install, I get about 40% before getting a disc read error. I have tried about 10 times now with the same result. The disc is brand new, straight out of the package, and has no signs of a problem.

From internet searches, it appears that gears 3 is using a new format that is unreadable by some older models, and my 360 is an older model. What can I do here?

I tested the rest of my games, and everything else is working fine. Only gears 3 is having this problem.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

If you look here and other forums, a lot of people are having trouble with this game disc, so there is something going on. I have also now tried this on a different xbox and the disc worked fine, so it is something with my xbox not reading this disc. (but it reads ALL other discs fine)

Don't know what revision I have, but it is an early model that has HDMI. It is the refurb unit I got from MS after my original 360 died with a red ring.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="RC PONGO"]From internet searches, it appears that gears 3 is using a new format that is unreadable by some older models[/quote]It's not. What you're reading is about a firmware update that caused a small subset of drives to not be able to read an older disc format. It had nothing to do with the new disc format that was tested over the summer.

Which console do you have? What revision (Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus, Jasper, Vejle)?

As MS published Gears of War 3, I'd open a support ticket with XBOX support. If enough people have a problem, perhaps there's a new issue that was previously unidentified.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.