Downloaded update, Xbox now freezes before dashboard opens

So I was on Live tonight and suddenly my game froze randomly. I thought that was a little odd but I restarted my Xbox and I was prompted to install the update so I figured I had just hit a little glitch and went ahead with the update. The update installed and I reconnected to live, entered a game, and within five seconds my game had frozen again. I restarted my Xbox and the update prompt appeared again, so I reinstalled it but was again faced with my game freezing... and then the update installed itself a third time and now my xbox freezes before my dashboard can even open itself.

I've got an Xbox Slim so I would assume that this update would be compatible with my system but apparently it isn't. Anyone having a similar problem or have any idea what I can do? I can't wipe my system as some have suggested because I can't even make it onto the dashboard so I'm a bit stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

try just letting it boot up for like twenty minutes and then see what happens

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I believe there is a way to connect your Xbox 360 to the computer and access the files on your memory unit/hard drive        

I recently had the same problem and I got this cable from a pawn shop. Yeah I'm that poor. I was able to plug my hard drive into my PC and delete the corrupted file manually. Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have the 250 GB HDD? If so, please remove it and see if your console can boot normally then.

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem here xbox support people will not help so im just thinking of emptying a clip on it at a shooting range.

Sorry this didn't help.

Juggalo, what model console are you using, and are you also freezing before the dashboard comes up? Also, have you tried removing the HDD?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem, i updated my xbox and after i shut it off it will not boot, just freezes at logo screen, for like a month now. is xbox going to accept responsibality for their update and replace my hdd? mayhap send me a cable and a method i can use to remove my corrupted files they gave me? my account is 3yrs old now. 17000 gs....do u want me to buy a PLAYSTATION? i own 1x black xbox, 1x red xbox, 1x Halo edition xbox, 9 wireless controlers, and 4x wireless headsets, and 72x games. This is my LAST working hdd, i would be willing to sell it all to the next sucker and move on to Sony if this is not resolved very soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

Stinky, does the issue persist with your HDD removed, as I asked in my last post?

Sorry this didn't help.

xbox works fine w/o a hdd connected, or an older unupdated hdd is connected. i have a 20g hdd but it's size makes it useless to me. my issue is the same as all the other ones u have seen, replied to, and asked the same questions about on here for the same reason, xbox frezes with the updateed hdd connected. obvisouly it is the update causing the same issue for many hdd owners.

Sorry this didn't help.

My xboxlive account runs out on Aug. 10th, according to the email i received today. if i do not have a resolution to this issue by that point in time, i will not be renewing my account again. i have already lost over a month to this bug that was given to me by xbox, i will be damned if i pay for another year and not have a functioning hdd with which to store content. i am awe struck that microsoft would allow this issue to just linger on in all these forum posts. this IS clearly the fault of the applied update, u need to take responsibility for your updates. let's get this fixed asap, and u can avoid any possible legal action i may take.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried the HDD on a different console, such as a friend's? If it works there, please try formatting the drive (you can back up your save files on a USB stick configured for use with Xbox 360). If it doesn't work on another console, either, I'm afraid the drive will need to be repaired/replaced. When and where was it purchased? Was it purchased new, or with the console?

Sorry this didn't help.