Dormant unused gamertags.

Hello, i have a simple question but before i get to that i am going to give you a quick background so you see where im coming from.  Back in the days of the original xbox i had a gamertag that i was very fond of. Fast forward to the 360 release, after converting the gamertag, someone got a hold of my information and stole my gamertag. I went through the whole investigation procedure to no avail. Ever since i have been searching for a gamertag suitable to my tastes. In my searches i have found something to be true about a lot of gamertags. They are dormant! they lay unused with no rep, or recent activity. I dont think its fair for people to stockpile these gamertags and not even use them.  In my opinion its like a city with a bunch of condemned buildings. The gamertag i am interested is Gohan. It has been unused since 2004, is that long enough to justify releasing it back to the public? Thanks so much guys.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Microsoft does remove GT's that haven't been used for a while, however they get rid of them without notice. You'll have to wait until whether or not they decide to reset if for other gamers to use again

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Legends Future"]

Microsoft does remove GT's that haven't been used for a while, however they get rid of them without notice. You'll have to wait until whether or not they decide to reset if for other gamers to use again

[/quote]

They used to, but they stopped.

-

Hence why most of the 'original' gamertags are still not available.

Sorry this didn't help.

It takes 7 years for a Gamer Tag to recycle. You also have to understand that someone who created a Gamer Tag 6 years ago doesn't need to have an Xbox account in order to use the  Windows Live ID that is associated with the account. As long as the email is being used the gamer tag is being used.

Sorry this didn't help.