Does Xbox support 7.1 surround sound?

I picked up a gaming headset that does 5.1 and 7.1 surround. I'm just trying to decide if I should go with another pair, which would be wireless, but only support 5.1. I only play games on the 360, not anything else, so if 360 doesn't support 7.1, I might as well just get the wireless 5.1's that would also be cheaper in the end. I notice in the sound menu that you only have the option to choose 5.1 and not 7.1 which is why I ask. Thanks for any help in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 100 Applies to:

The 360 only supports up to 5.1 sound at this time - Dolby Digital.

Wireless headsets can have... issues. Make sure you can return whatever you buy. The only one I've used that I like is the wireless Mixamp 5.8 from Astro Gaming. It's not really a headset, just a wireless version of their regular Mixamp. I tried a Turtle Beach X41 and the hiss and pops were unbearable.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh, ok... I have the Turtle Beach DX11's right now, but I was looking in to getting the X4's from them. They have the X4's Recertified for $100, which are wireless and 5.1 surround. So the 7.1 on the DX11's is pretty much useless at the moment? Know of any plans to update them to support the 7.1 any time soon?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are the normal rumors of a Blu-ray drive for a 360. That would be the biggest push for 7.1 sound. I doubt games will be made to support 7.1 sound.

Having 7.1 sound isn't a "problem" per se. Just because you're not making use of it now doesn't mean you won't be able to with a future device.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Update to support 7.1 comes out sometime in the fall, so fairly soon.

Sorry this didn't help.