Does my surround sound suck?

So I have an rca rt2770 surround sound and a 32 inch vizio e321vl. The surround sound has great bass but it's not as clear as my vizio. On my tv speakers it sounds more like they are realistic voices and on the surround sound they feel distant and have a stereo feel to them. Is this a sucky system or that's how surround sound sounds? Sacrificing voice clarity for sound effects?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hmm, interesting, and you're welcome for the kind words. I was always taught that "cool heads prevail" so I like to show my appreciation to those who are rational and reasonable, especially on controversial topics.

This is a test.

Edit: Awesome, shift+enter seems to do the trick, while just using enter doesn't leave a break. By the way, I'm using Chrome 19, so if anyone else stumbles across this then that fix should work on Chrome. 

Thanks for the nice words. :)

I use IE8 but always have to go through "use rich formatting" and typing shift+enter twice between the paragraphs to make the text editor put line break tags in rather than just paragraph tags.

[quote user="Zacabeb"]

You know the old adage that you get what you pay for? It's not true. You hardly ever get what you pay for. But you do pay for what you get. And it keeps an entire industry raking in money.

[/quote]I couldn't agree more with you more, well said. Perhaps if I had been able to put it as eloquently as you some grief could have been avoided, maybe, lol.

-

Just as an aside, what browser do you use and/or how is it that you're able to space out your paragraphs on these forums? I can't seem to figure it out.

Well... the thread title was probably what set the tone of the discussion.

I'm not so sure Silent Paradigm is trying to be elitist, just recognizing how the industry milks the budget segment.

For instance, I recently bought a DSLR camera that was a bit over my budget and had me sacrifice other things I wanted - but if I had gone for any of the absolutely entry level DSLRs, they would have lacked rubber grips and be very plasticky and uncomfortable to handle. I don't think the omission of rubber grips saves the manufacturers much money at all, but it does force people to upgrade (if not for the camera slipping out of one's hands and breaking, at least becoming too much of a chore to use).

I realized that I couldn't afford to get the cheaper model because it wouldn't last me as long as the model above it would. The alternative was to hold off on my purchase of a DSLR altogether (which I had already done for years and missed tons of photo ops).

The same goes for home theaters-in-a-box. Cheaper ones lack inputs and functionality and cause problems when needing to connect more stuff. They exploit the desire for surround on a tight budget with designs that are often substandard for their purpose. People don't generally know that when getting their first home theater system, and expect it to last them much longer than it will.

You know the old adage that you get what you pay for? It's not true. You hardly ever get what you pay for. But you do pay for what you get. And it keeps an entire industry raking in money.

See...that's exactly your problem. You just don't understand. You're just dying to 'educate' the OP on the limitations of what he has and how much better he can do. THAT's elitist and has nothing to do with what you may, or may not, have. You put YOURSELF in his shoes without bothering to understand where he might be at and solving his problem, when it could be something as simple as improper wiring, or settings. What if he has to make do with what he has and doesn't have the 'paltry' 500-600 bucks for an upgrade? If he has it hooked up via RCA, then his simplest solution would be for the Xbox to be outputting in Stereo and for his amp to be set to PrologicII. This would then work, sound infinitely better than his TV and make him a lot happier than the thought of trying to convince his parents to come up with 600 bucks, as he already has what he can afford. Again, it isn't your opinion that bothers me. It's your self-absorbed, insensitive attitude.

I think you should revisit the OPs original post:

[quote user="akatsuki11"]

The surround sound has great bass but it's not as clear as my vizio. On my tv speakers it sounds more like they are realistic voices and on the surround sound they feel distant and have a stereo feel to them. Is this a sucky system or that's how surround sound sounds? Sacrificing voice clarity for sound effects?

[/quote]Based on that info I took a guess at what could be causing the problem, and provided a couple alternatives if it didn't. I'm not getting paid to educate the OP on the matter, just trying to help them out in a very simple and condensed manner. Surely you aren't suggesting that I should write a 5,000 word white paper on consumer A/V electronics system design for them.

-

It's unfortunate that my response came off as elitist to you. Perhaps you don't really understand the meaning of the word, but I made no reference of my system in juxtaposition to his, so I couldn't have demonstrated an elitist attitude in this regard. I do not like the system I recommended, I said I like it for the OPs situation, which is apparently quite a modest budget. I'm sure the OP is smart enough to take my opinion at face value and doesn't need you to try to protect them or whatever it is you intended to do.

-

I'm confused as to why you were compelled to write another response in attempt to belittle me if my opinion apparently doesn't matter, but that's neither here nor there. Again, I think it would be prudent and more productive to simply offer up solutions in the future, instead of attempting to belittle others because you disagree with their opinion.

Your whole subsequent conversation, ITT, was elitist garbage. You made one decent suggestion, then proceeded to illustrate why the OP's sound system sucked. No...it doesn't necessarily suck and you and your mate need to get over yourselves. Reversing polarity in component-based systems results in out of phase output, sure, but in many HTIBs, it can also result in a speaker not working at all, simply because the simpler circuits won't output in reverse phase. I'm not disagreeing with your opinion...you don't have one that matters. I find your insistence that the OP's system is crap and that his only solution is to buy something YOU like, quite offensive. You only elaborated on a possible solution for his existing setup after having your dubious feelings hurt. The OP might be putting it out there, but only someone incredibly insensitive follows up the way you did. Also, if you'd bothered to check, you would have found that Dolby Digital is one of the few DSP settings the OP's system does have.

[quote user="Endgamez"]

No, OP...your system doesn't actually suck. It may not be high-end enough for some elitists around here, but in a bedroom, or small lounge it's cheap, but OK.

[/quote]That's nothing more than abrasive hearsay. I recommended the same potential solution of changing DSP modes along with other alternatives. If you cannot understand dialog through speakers they suck, full stop.

-

Most HTiBs do not have a sound mode labelled Dolby Digital. Instead, they have a plethora of other names. Reversed polarity would cause reduced bass response if anything, not decreased intelligibility of dialog. A centre channel should technically be the only source of voices anyway (in most cases), so no other drivers in the opposite phase would be actively cancelling the waveform of the centre. Finally, setting the 360 to output DD 5.1 won't make a difference if the OP is connected via stereo RCA for audio output, which is highly likely on a HTiB with sound quality issues.

-

I think it would be prudent and much more productive to simply offer up solutions in the future, instead of calling out and attempting to belittle others because you disagree with their opinion.

No, OP...your system doesn't actually suck. It may not be high-end enough for some elitists around here, but in a bedroom, or small lounge it's cheap, but OK. The problem you may be having is that you have chosen the wrong sound preset. Just set it back to Dolby Digital and you should be fine. If that's not the issue, make sure that you have wired the speakers up correctly and that +/- or red/black are wired up properly...especially the centre speaker. Thirdly, check your Xbox audio settings and see that it's set to Dolby Digital output. Hope that helps.

[quote user="Silent Paradigm"]

[quote user="OG Pooh"]

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with an HTiB. Unless it's a pretty high end system, it'll end up a throw-away. Even a lot of the higher end systems by better manufacturers aren't easily upgradable, as they often use custom connectors & have no real inputs. The only HTiBs that are worth anything (IMHO) are the ones that simply package a real receiver & speakers into one box. 

[/quote]

That's why I like the Denon DHT-1513BA for the OP's situation, as it's just a Denon AVR-1513 with speakers from Boston Acoustics. The speaker wire terminals are the standard spring-loaded variety and the inputs (while limited) are leaps and bounds above all-in-one systems.

[/quote]

I haven't looked at any specifically, but yeah, the Denon you mention sounds (pun intended) worth looking into. Something like that, I wouldn't really classify as an HTiB, but rather a receiver/speaker package. When I think HTiB, I think of a receiver & player in one chassis with no inputs to speak of, one-off connections and a (usually subpar) sub/sat speaker setup. If the OP doesn't want to build a full-on home theater (you did say inputs are limited), the Denon/Boston Acoustics package may be the way to go.