Does 50hz being unable mean I can't run 60fps?

On my console,  only 24hz is available for settings,  and 50hz is just blanked out and grey.  I cannot choose that option,  and I'm wondering if that's why I can't run 60.  When I'm playing games like CoD AW or Halo MCC,  it should run 60,  but I find myself seeing it as 30.  Even the videos I watch online very well showcase it at 60 fps,  which I don't really see at all when I play those games. And when I switch to my console source,  it says "1280x720/60p"  I'm pretty sure 60p should translate to 60 fps, (Could be wrong) but does this mean that I need to mess with options maybe reduce to 1080 instead of 1280 or choose a different TV setting or something,  or is this just a console issue that can be resolved?  Because in a lot of videos I see,  the 60fps option is available,  and it looks much more smooth then my Xbox One.  I know that the Xbox 360 can only run 30,  and I really can't see a framerate difference between the two consoles at all.  I know what 30 looks like,  and I'm pretty sure that 30 is running on my games that are said to run at 60.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 42 Applies to:

Hi buddy,

Those 20Hz and 50Hz settings you're seeing are with regards to TV and Blu-Ray playback. They don't affect the framerate of games.

It could be that your TV doesn't support 1080/60p, also 1080 is more than 1280x720 as it is actually 1920x1080 and refers to the horizontal x vertical pixels on the screen.

Now, if you could get back to me with the model number for your TV I could look further into it for you.

Also, when you say you're watching videos online, are you watching them on a PC/Laptop, or through the Xbox One?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am watching them from an iPad from the YouTube app which supports 60fps as an option for HD videos.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok. What's the model number of your TV?

Sorry this didn't help.