Do I have to download an update each time I use another console?

If anyone can advise me on this, please do. I'm stumped.

I have an xbox 360 Elite and my brother has an arcade version. For years I have been taking my harddrive with profile and game saves on it round to his and playing my games with him and things were fine.

Because he can't afford an internet connection, his console has always gotten updates from my harddrive and we never play online unless he is at my house (not often).  Suddenly his 360 has to download a lengthy update each time I connect my profile and then I have to download an even longer one when I connect it back to mine. I thought it was something to do with my 120gb harddrive so i put my profile on a memory card and still the same result each time I switch consoles. I just cannot figure out the reason for needing this.

This is extremely annoying and is starting to put us off the 360 as things used to be fine (e.g I could play my DLC from my harddrive on his console, we could play films without needing to connect to the internet ) but more and more bizzare piracy measures seem to be emerging that stop us from playing. I understand that his having an internet connection would solve this but it won't happen because he simply cannot afford it and seems to be being punished for it. I also don't want to be carrying my 360 to his each time I nip round when he has a perfectly good one sat there.

I'm dumb enough to not know what I'm talking about and may have missed something so if anyone knows a simple solution to this, please let me know.      Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Thank you for the reply.

I had assumed that his console was fully updated by the updates it took off my harddrive. I will try this as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Has his console been fully updated with a USB or CD? That should help. :) Instructions for how to are here: support.xbox.com/.../system-updates.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.