DNS server can't resolve the names of Xbox Live servers.

I'm trying to connect to xbox live. My ISP is Time Warner Cable. I use a linksys e2000 as the main router. The 360 is connected to a linksys WRT54GS flashed with DD-WRT.

I can connect to xbox live fine via wired to modem, but when I try using the bridge, it ends up with an error such as:

Your DNS server can't resolve the names of the xbox live servers or xbox.com

I tried manually inputting info from ipconfig /all as well as automatic network settings but nothing worked.

I've also tried setting a static IP on my PC with these directions:
http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm
to see if it worked, but it didn't

Is this a DNS server problem? I just called my ISP, but they said that since I have a 3rd party product, they can't give me DNS servers.

It worked fine with my old ISP (AT&T DSL). I was using the WRT54GS as the main router and an old xbox 1 network adapter to connect though. The xbox 1 adapter doesn't work with the new ISP. I really don't understand how this stuff works I just follow directions lol.
Help is very appreciated.

Talked with xbox 360 customer support, tried putting a public dns server into the 360's settings and still didn't work.

Talked with linksys customer support now after failed xbox help. Dude has to talk to his supervisor after mentioning the flashed linksys firmware

got redirected to a support group by linksys that wants to charge $60 to solve the problem... lol I hung up

EDIT: I did everything on the sticky, but it didn't work.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 77 Applies to:

Typically, this type of network setup (using two routers) will not work correctly with Xbox LIVE, and that is likely the cause of the error. We'd recommend just using one router. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.