dns error.

What Country/State/Province do you live in?  Indiana, USA
Modem brand & model number:  ?
Router brand & model number:  ?
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? internal 360s
Things you have tried: automatic dns servers, manual, my computer's server, google's. none seem to work
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown unknown
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT? no
Any Error Codes you encounter: n/a
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider) ?

w: 0000-0021

x: 0400-F001

y: 0000-0000

z: 8015-1904

id: 0002-0002

L: 8015-1904

q: 8007-1000

t: wireless

a: 192.168.11.24/255.255.255.0

g: 192.168.11.1

d: 192.168.11.1, 0.0.0.0

n: noval

s: wp2

c: 1

I just moved into a new apartment, and they provide free wifi. When the landlord gave us the password I signed on to Xbox Live, no problem. I played online for a couple hours then started to watch tv. So I turned my Xbox off, and when I turned it back on a few hours later I could not sign on to Live. At this time, I was also having trouble connecting to the internet with my computer. My roommate was having no trouble with his internet connection, and I thought this was strange. After a few hours of research I was able to finally connect using the DNS address of 4.2.2.2. Finally, I thought, I'd be able to also use this address to get the Xbox Live working again too. But unfortunately I wasn't so lucky. I have tried adjusting the DNS servers to all kinds of different address with no luck. I unfortunately also don't know much information regarding the type of modem or even service provider. I know this is not much to go on but any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

@ArminatorX what does level 3 communications mean? and i'll try out the 8.8.8.8. it's just strange to me that I was able to connect to the network to begin with, then I signed off, and couldn't connect thereafter. Would there be any explanation as to why this happened?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I think this is something you would need to discuss with the owner of the wifi network as it isn't within your control. You should ensure that all of the Xbox live ports are open/forwarded on the wireless network support.xbox.com/.../network-ports-used-xbox-live

Sorry this didn't help.

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4? i tried those with no luck. i don't get why it worked initially but after signing off, then back on a couple of hours later it wouldn't work. What would cause that?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Jon Tron 6000"]I was able to finally connect using the DNS address of 4.2.2.2. [/quote]

Additionally to the tipps that Shad0wman gave you, you could try to set the DNS of your console manually to Google's Public DNS Servers. They have this nice, easy to remember IP Address 8.8.8.8. Unless you're a customer of Level3 Communications, you shouldn't use 4.2.2.2 as your DNS Server.

Sorry this didn't help.

Very strange,

If you input those DNS entries into your PC do they work ok and you can browse the net etc?

Sorry this didn't help.

Indeed try that ^ if you have not already done it

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried Google DNS instead manually entered into your Xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Jon Tron 6000"]

@ArminatorX what does level 3 communications mean? ...

[/quote]

Level 3 is a company that provides network solution for enterprises. So unless you are a customer of them, you shouldn't use their DNS Server, but the Google Public DNS Servers.

As for the explanation why your connection suddenly dropped after you finished watching TV, it's really impossible to tell from here through the forum, especially, since you aren't able to access the network configuration of the WiFi provided.

Have you tried going to the console's network settings, then going right once more to the advanced network settings, and resetting network to the default settings? Please do so, and check what IP addresses your Xbox gets from the network.

Compare these to the IP addresses of your Macbook that seems to go online just fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am able to connect with the ethernet through my macbook...so Idk what's wrong with other settings that I wouldn't be able to wirelessly

Sorry this didn't help.