DmC: Devil May Cry IGN & Gamespot Video Reviews

IGN and Gamespot have posted up their video reviews for the reboot of Devil May Cry, one of my favorite franchises to date. It has been on the recieving end of a lot of controversey since its announcement, but the reviews have been positive and a lot of people have been swayed by the demo, accepting that while the combat has been changed it's because it's trying to be more accessible for newcomers, and judging it for being what it isn't trying to be is a little unfair. Still, there's people who haven't been swayed by the demo, which is entirely understandable. However, if you've not tried the demo and refuse to look at the game just because it's different, I do recommend at least giving it a shot without judging it against the previous games too much. Hard to do, but accept it for what it is and it's a blast.

Frankly, as much as I love Devil May Cry, I didn't want another direct sequel, so I'm pretty pleased with Capcom taking a big risk and changing it up. It'll be interesting to see whether there's still a lot of dislike after launch or not. Either way I reckong it'll sell a lot because of the controversey alone. What do you think?

-

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy7lt0QC2x8]

-

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug-tQQia_d4]

-

On another note, this does remind me a bit of a topic brought up in the last ever issue of Xbox World mag. One of the articles put forward the point that while the state of games journalist has a lot to do with the companies, publishers and journalists, it's also partially because of the gamers and the internet. It put forth the point that you're not allowed to have an opinion on the internet anymore, that differing views from the herd get shouted down. Things like downvotes ensure that a different opinion is never seen. In short, it points out that reviewers who say anything that the herd disagree with get shouted down, accused of being paid off, threats, abuse, called biased, called unproffesional etc. The IGN video review is case in point when you look at the comments. Good score, but that goes against the herd, and so that's it. The reviewer gets bashed. The Gamespot review scored it an 8, and people still accuse of being paid off? Are we partially to blame for the state of games journalism? The article suggests that because of this, reviewers end up beng swayed to agree with the herd and never say anything against them. Likewise ad revenue plays its part there: reviewers that go against the grain don't get a look in because they disagree, hitting ad revenue hard which is often needed to keep a site going.

-

An interesting topic, I feel. I'm still mulling it all over, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Cheers for posting that Wolf, give me a chuckle.

-

Still loving the game too, just finished the club level and really enjoyed that one, some great looking levels in the game, and now I've unlocked most of the weapons and upgrades for each one, the combats much more enjoyable too, although elemental enemies can suck a toe.

-

I'm looking forward to going through it a second time on the Nephilem difficulty to get all the keys and doors before trying my hand at SoS then see how far I can go.

Just watched that IGN review and is it just me or does it seriously seem like they were paid to get a good review? The reviewer treats the game like the messiah of gaming and calls us babies if we don't like the look of it.

[quote user="zfair899"]

I'll be interested to hear what you guys make of the higher difficulties. I'm guessing some of you will be giving DMD a bash?

[/quote]
I'm not sure if I'll continue to play all the way until Hell and Hell mode or anything because while I do love the combat it's not got enough depth to support a lot of playthroughs like DMC3. I've played some of Son of Sparda, and it's nice that enemy waves are mixed up and that enemies also have some new behaviors. Not exactly tough, though. But I've barely touched it, so we'll see.

[quote user="zfair899"]

DMC3 did not have a load of useless moves. I don't mean to desperately rally to its defense at every opportunity like a simpering fanboy but a great deal was done to differentiate skills so that they had different uses and extended the types of things possible. If there is anything in it that I feel wasn't as well developed as it could have been then it would have to be gunslinger, which to me only seemed properly useful once you paired it with Artemis.

[/quote]
I'd like to point out that I did not accuse DMC3 of having loads of useless moves. All I said was DmC's move selection feels nicely balanced and that I'd like more, but in context it feels right as it is. I'd rather have a balanced but small moveset than a large but messy one. DMC3 was never brought into that equation. Quite the contrary, I feel DMC3 offered a great moveset with almost everything finely balanced.

The game isn't selling particularly well. Anyone keeping their powder dry would be wise to continue doing so. Will be bargain bin fodder pretty soon I'd say, like Bayonetta was.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-21-uk-chart-dmc-devil-may-cry-horns-its-way-to-top-spot

[quote]Launch week sales for DmC Devil May Cry were just a third of the amount that previous entry Devil May Cry 4 sold during its launch week in 2008.

That's despite DmC having an extra three days on sale - it launched last Tuesday, compared to Devil May Cry 4's Friday launch, the traditional day that new video games hit shop shelves in the UK.[/quote]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-24-dmc-sells-half-of-what-dmc4-did-in-japan

[quote]DmC Devil May Cry has sold less than half of what its predecessor, DMC4, did upon its launch week in Japan five years ago. While a critical success, DmC marks the first time a western developer - in this case Ninja Theory - has taken the reins on the blockbuster action series.[/quote]

http://www.play.tm/news/31931/capcom-dmc4-s-2-7m-sales-not-enough-wants-5-from-reboot/

[quote]To reach those numbers, the Japanese publisher realised it would need to appeal to a wider audience than DMC's core user base. This is partially the reason Capcom is taking the series in a new direction.[/quote]

Meanwhile, the HD collection is outselling it on Amazon.com. The optimistic part of my brain wants to think that Capcom will revise their strategy and bring back Dante for DMC5. But the pessimist in me sees a more dire outcome, a more likely one. DMC might get Mega Man-ed.

Was thinking of picking this up on console, but after reading how well the PC version performs I'll probably hold out for that version, not sure if it's worth picking up when it launches or waiting for a sale  :/ I assume the bloody palace and vergil's downfall DLC aren't pre order DLC and that I'll still be able to get them both if I decide to wait.

DMC3 did not have a load of useless moves. I don't mean to desperately rally to its defense at every opportunity like a simpering fanboy but a great deal was done to differentiate skills so that they had different uses and extended the types of things possible. If there is anything in it that I feel wasn't as well developed as it could have been then it would have to be gunslinger, which to me only seemed properly useful once you paired it with Artemis.

Is that a euphemism Wolf?  :-)

I'll definately pick this one up then.

The concept of the game is interesting, that we're living in a demon infested world which we simply don't see.

I might not grab it the day it's released though as I suspect it will drop in price after a few weeks (which doesn't mean it's a bad game at all).

Az

On the other hand, here is a surprisingly balanced review from Jim Sterling on Destructoid

-

www.destructoid.com/review-dmc-devil-may-cry-242002.phtml