Display problems or signs of laser going bad?

HI guys i have the slim 250 model. its probably closed to 2 yrs old now. I've used it most everyday since i got it. its having problems playing dvds. i keep getting quick little flashes of white in a skipping type fashion and sometimes the screen goes black and shows my res settings like a res problem. thing is if i put in a GAME of equal damage it plays fine. i know the laser naturally gets strained from dvds so im wondering if the laser is getting old. doubt it is a res problem because i've had res problems before and know the in's and out's to correct em. next option would be my hdmi going bad. anyone know of simpler type issues that result in this manner? I've tried multiple dvds and all have the same result, clean or dirty.      

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 107 Applies to:

Hello jzink88,

It sure sounds that you know a lot more about the technical side of lasers and dvd playback than I do, but have you tried connecting with an A/V cable to see if it's the HDMI output or not? If the laser was going bad, then the display issues you see would likely occur regardless whether you use HDMI or not. If you were able to at least rule out the source of the res issue, then that would be a step in the right direction. Either way, to get it fixed you might have to call 1-800-4-my-xbox to see if you can get a repair.

Good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hdmi cable can be very tempermental JZ,  The can be soo easily damaged, i know this as i daily switch my xbox hdmi into my laptop hdmi port and as a result iv damaged two. On the other hand YES ur lazer reader could be dirty but there are very cheap lazer cleaners out there for as little as £6 / $7. Ypu simply insert one of these discs into ur console and its Metalic content lifts allot of dirt and dust from the inside of its console, this could prove very effective in ur case.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.