Display issues with start up, avatars, and games

I am having problems with my Xbox 360 4 GB I just bought in December 2014. Just this week, the start up screen and avatars are not displaying correctly. The best way to describe it is the images appear as rectangular or square shapes instead of the 3D shapes they are supposed to look like. The only game that seems to work is Minecraft because of the graphics in that game. All other games are displaying the main pages, but the characters are not showing or the actual game. The volume works fine for everything so the games are working. The dashboard displays properly except for the avatar on the Social Page. Even the videos are showing properly on the Main Dashboard page. Any ideas?

Can (should) I do a factory reset? The system is used mostly by my kids and there are not too many saved game data. I transferred all the data to a USB drive today.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

If you are connected via HDMI then you could try using a different cable or composite cable to see if that improves the issue.  If a new HDMI cable solves it then the issue was with your old cable.  If you were using HDMI and the composite cable fixes it then the issue is with the graphics card.

If you wish to try a factory reset and you have transferred the saves to an external USB and remember the email/passwords for the tags then go ahead and give it a try as well.

If those things don't help though you may need to send the console in for a repair.

http://myservice.xbox.com/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.