Disk installtions being ignored

Hi, I've my current xbox for a couple of months now and ever since it has had the same issue: Whenever I play a game that I had already installed the disk continues to spin. For the most part I just ignored this issue since it's nothing really major but recently my friends started playing Left 4 Dead 2 again but since my disk is chainsawed, I can't play with them. Before I had this xbox I installed the game and was able to play it even after the destruction of the disk. Now when I go to play the game, the disk starts spinning and I only get about half way through a loading screen before I get the disk is unreadable error. For the record, I have tried uninstalling the game and re-installing a friend's disk but I still get the error.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows of a solution. Troubleshooting ideas are also welcome. Thanks in advance! ^_^

Just saying:

My xbox is the non-slim, original version

I have tried this while signed into xbox live and not signed in.

I have tried about 10 games, all of them spun the disk anyway.

I have uninstalled and then re-installed 3 games to no avail.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

When a game is installed, the disk is still required. Installs are supposed to "lessen" the disk activity, but the disks will still be accessed, like checking that the disk is matching the installation data (DRM checks).

Unreadable errors relate to the disk or disk drive  I would assume. You've already tried some things, check and make sure the disk is clean and open the drive tray up and make sure that is clean as well.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try installing the game while logged out of all profiles. this has worked in the past..

Sorry this didn't help.

I suppose I could try that but for some reason it happens to all games so I get the feeling that the xbox is the problem not the disks themselves

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks to be a disc drive malfunction, or possibly a Hard Drive as well. When a game is installed and you run it, basicly the disc does spin for a couple of second to verify it's originality and then followed by a check by the console to check if the game is installed. If yes, a signal is sent to the disc drive asking it to stop spinning and the game is loaded up from the Hard Drive.

Since this is not an isolated case, as you tested 10 different games and reinstalled 3 different games, I would suggest you contact Xbox Support to request a repair of your console and hard drive, or request it online here. Unfortunately this issue is only covered by the 1-year warranty and you might have to pay a repair fee, but in return besides a fixed console is a renewed warranty.

Be sure to upload all your saves to Cloud Storage before shipping it. :)

Sorry this didn't help.