Disk Drive Question

I just have a quick question. Probably a stupid question, that has been asked a million times, but none the less, I am asking once more, asuming it has been asked before.

Can turning the console on and off cause any type of harm to the system? Like blowing the Power Supply, or the Power Supply Unit? I turned the console on and off three times in like a twenty minute period. Very indecisive. Was also wondering about opening and closing the disk tray several times in a row. Thanks for any information anyone can give me, I appreciate it..

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Well like many electrical devices if you keep turning them on and off and then on again within a very short period of time there is the slight possibility something could blow.  Doing it three times over a 20 minute period wouldn't be anything to be concerned about.  Even if the PSU did blow, it's unlikely to damage the console at the same time.

There is no need to keep opening and closing the disc tray, if you keep doing it you would no doubt eventually break it, but you would have to do it a heck of a lot over a long period of time.

I'm now wondering why you are concerned about these things.  You don't have OCD do you?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I am a little OCD with my console.... Not everything, just electronics that I own, computers, consoles, handhelds, things of that nature. Just epends. :P

I installed a new harddrive into my 360, and in the process, I opened the disk tray about five million times so I was wondering if that could cause any problems now, or later in the future. Also, I wonder about turning consoles on and off, because it seems like something could fail within the system as a result of this. I would really rather not have to deal with shipping my console to microsoft to have them fix it, just because I turned it on and off to many times, you know?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="VampyToad"]Yes I am a little OCD with my console....[/quote]Then don't abuse it?[quote]I installed a new harddrive into my 360, and in the process, I opened the disk tray about five million times[/quote]Why?[quote]so I was wondering if that could cause any problems now, or later in the future.[/quote]Of course it will. The drive mechanism that opens/closes the tray is belt driven. The more the belt is driven, the more it stretches.[quote]Also, I wonder about turning consoles on and off, because it seems like something could fail within the system as a result of this.[/quote]It's not so much the electronics as the hard disk spinning up and down that would be an issue in that case.[quote]I would really rather not have to deal with shipping my console to microsoft to have them fix it, just because I turned it on and off to many times, you know?[/quote]Then don't abuse it?

It's a $300 lump of plastic and silicon built by the lowest bidder. It's not a Maytag appliance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Somewhat of a rude comment I must say. This would not be abusing the console, this would actually be using the console. It is designed to open/close the disk tray,, and to be powered on and off. When Microsoft tests the console, they open and close the disk tray repeatedly, as well as turn the system on and off.

Also, I accidentally opened the disk tray, as I was putting the system back into position. I did not want to do this after I had the hard drive installed, put everything back, to find out something went wrong, and I would have to repeat the process. Pressing the eject button is easy, its located on the corner of the system, and simply brushing your fingers past it will eject the disk.

I have actually had a friend that contacted Sony, about the powering going out while the system is in use, not from a lightning storm but the fuse blowing. They  said generally if this happens, nothing will damage the system, unless you are saving, loading, or something with the data.

It was a simple question, from a poor, worried consumer of the 360 Slim Console. I did not post here to be yelled, mocked, or called stupid, or anything else of the like. Things happen, and I was simply wondering if the 360 could handle this kind of use occasionally, and will not end up being broken the next time I try to play it.

All in all, if you have nothing to contribute, why comment?

Sorry this didn't help.