Disk Drive Problems.. Questions and Possible Solutions for debate?

Hello,
My girlfriend and I are trying to play Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (among other games) but we are having trouble with the disc drives on both of our 360's, both of which have similar problems, with one extra problem on mine.

The Problems:
My 360 occasionally has the tendency to not want to read the discs that we put in it and spend quite a bit of time trying to troubleshoot why, finding that the biggest reason was that my console needed to be opened and cleaned (I'm aware that opening an 360 voids any warranty and Microsoft's willingness to directly help with repairs) of all the dust that was in the console itself and the disc drive. After we did this, it reads the discs 95% of the time, so this isn't so much of a problem, but the problem as of this time is that the disc tray almost constantly gets stuck either opened or closed. I have to beat the sides, top, and bottom of the console just to force the disc tray open and to stay shut (manually ejecting it like Xbox Support says to do doesn't work and it's not because of the faceplate, as I've never put the faceplate back on since cleaning it out).

Her 360 has an almost completely functioning disc drive, except for the disc reader laser never operates, so it never attempts to read the disc. We thought it was the same problem as my 360, but when we opened hers to clean it, it didn't need to be cleaned whatsoever, so we put it back together, thinking maybe it would work, but no avail.

Possible Solution for Debate:
I want y'alls opinions before I attempt to do anything and maybe helpful tips on how to perform what I'm about to suggest. Anyway, while I was looking inside the disc drive for her console, I noticed wire connectors that looked much similar to ones you'd see in a laptop for connecting the sound, keyboard, and mousepad, and it made me wonder if maybe I could take the laser out of mine and put it in her's, since her disc tray opens and closes just fine. My console was manufactured on April 8th, 2009 and her's was manufactured on August 9th, 2008. Would that pose any problems if I attempted to combine parts of both disc drives to make a working and fully functioning one?

Thank you, in advance, for any input and helpful solutions or suggestions!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 26 Applies to:
Answer

Self-repair is a violation of the terms of service so it cannot be discussed on the forums.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.