Disconnects from Xbox Live with multiple 360's, familiar with networking technology

Hello everyone, I have searched high and low for a solution to my problem and I think if someone could explain how many alternative ports are used by Xbox Live I may be able to resolve this.

I have 4 Xbox 360's with two of them connected on a regular basis and 4 online when I have kids over playing. We have had constant disconnect issues of course and I have followed most if not all the suggestion offered regarding Static DHCP, Forwarded ports, UPnP, etc..etc.. The results have been mixed. The first 360 shows open nat and the second 360 shows strict. We can play online but still get disconnects. Both are using Static DHCP addresses but I currently do not have ports forwarded because I was hoping the UPnP would handle it correctly. I am running Tomato 1.27 on a Linksys WRT54G version 2. The 360s are all phats with the exception of one slim. All of them are connected to a switch wired. Nothing is wireless.

I understand if the standard ports(3074) are being used, a second 360 will chose another port if 3074 is taken. How many of these alternative ports are there? and what are they? Can I assign a second set of ports to be NAT'd to a second and then third and fourth 360? Are there alternative ports for additional 360s if ports 88, 53, and 80(http) are being used by the first 360? I assume 80 would not have to be redirected.

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 32 Applies to:

That's actually a great question, I do not know exactly how it determines the port it uses for the external, but the XBL servers themselves only listen for and respond to requests made on port 3074, the servers themselves on the MS end do not listen for anything else so any other ports do not relate the them.

The xbox itself basically picks a random high port number when it connects to the network to tell the router "hey I wanna be talked to using this port", in an effort to help with NAT issues, but it's up to the router to actually use those high ports internally to separate the traffic. Sometimes the firmware on the router doesn't like having different source and destination ports on packets that are sent, so it will re-write the packet header to show 3074 on the packet as both the source and destination port. When it does this is when we run into NAT errors, because only 1 of the consoles will really be connected to 3074 directly, or more accurately, only 1 console will be the recipient of traffic from 3074, so if the router rewrote the packet header, then the other xbox is now not going to receive it's information because the router didn't keep track of that xbox's listening port.

I know that was kind of a run-on explanation, I hope it's clear enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there, I know there is a Status Update for LIVE right now, does this apply to you? support.xbox.com/xbox-live-status

Sorry this didn't help.

Update: Previously I was using the original Linksys firmware in trying to get this setup working. Now I am using a slightly different version router running Tomato and I have two 360's working that have not disconnected recently (less than 2 hours gaming time). I am also running OpenDNS. I have had more success with Tomato now than I have with the original firmware all this time so thats a good start. Going to add another 360 today into the mix and see how it goes. Both working 360's show OPEN as their NAT status so thats also a positive. Basically I switched to the Tomato software, removed all port forwarding for XBOX, enabled UPnP, and added Static DHCP addresses for each 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

^ As above, I can't speak for Tomato but I believe some versions of DD-WRT can handle multiple Xboxes with no issues

Sorry this didn't help.

There are no actual alternate ports, that is the console attempt at doing something that the router should be able to handle if it was programmed to called PAT (Port Address Translation).

If there is more than 1 xbox on a network they will try to use "alternate ports" but those are internal only, the source of the communication with XBL is still ALL taking place on port 3074 externally. You're running into a limitation of your router to not handle multiple devices requesting the same port. They are requesting the same port even though they show alternate ports when you look in the settings on the console.

Port 88 is for Kerberos authentication servers and 53 is for DNS requests, these are also universally used ports, the only one that you forward that is exclusively XBL is 3074, and possibly 1863 if you worry about video kinect or messenger on the console.

The only thing you can actually do to address this scenario of NAT issues and port limitations is to switch routers or firmwares to one that will handle multiple requests to the same port at the same time, there is the potential that there is not a firmware that has been written for your router that will handle all these

A decent router to pick up for this would be the D-link DIR-655, though any of the D-link routers that are marketed with the "gamefuel" feature would work for multiple xboxs.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Antillion How does the 360 determine the alternate port? I saw posted in one forum that a port of 3641 was used as an external address translated from the 360 port 3074. this supposedly fixed the problem with two 360s' What was listed is contrary to what you are saying regarding the external 3074 address. I have included the link below. UPnP is basically suppose to do what you are explaining. I will take a look at the DIR-655 as well as the newer versions of tomato. Thanks for the information and pointing me in a new direction.

Thanks Shad0wmanUK for the DD-WRT suggestion. I didnt go with that years ago because there was a lack of development but I will see if that has changed.

Will let you guys know what I learn,

Sorry this didn't help.

@Antillion It makes a lot of sense run on and all ;) heh heh. I am just hoping or expecting that it's not random but just seems random because we don't know exactly what the 360 is programmed to do. It seems from my research the best way to go about resolving this is if UPnP does not work, find router software specifically design to handle the packets the way we would like them to. I forgot to include the link I mentioned before with the two xbox's and the ports he had programmed. it is below. Thanks for the suggestions. While using different router software will probably be the solution I feel finding out why UPnP does not always work properly is important. If not for any other reason to have a complete understanding how and why it work's sometimes and not others.

jakebillo.com/two-xboxes-one-router-making-upnp-work-using-dd-wrt-or-tomato

Sorry this didn't help.

no but thanks though. This has been an ongoing issue. I had three Xbox's connected today without disconnects but I wont feel confident until I have a real gaming session with them.  It looks promising though.

Sorry this didn't help.