Disconnects from XBL and then freezes when attempting to access the dashboard

Last night, my console began to disconnect from XBL after playing for around 10 minutes. Restarting the console would reconnect it to XBL, but after 10 minutes of playing online, it would disconnect again. I also cannot join any XBL parties anymore (before last night, it was limited to just people who's NAT settings were restricted). Also, the console would only disconnect if I was actually playing a game. The console would not disconnect if I played a game's offline content or just let the console sit, despite staying connected to XBL. I went through all the standard troubleshooting associated with XBL problems and yeilded no results. After trying those steps, I tried going directly to the dashboard from a game after I had just been disconnected from XBL. The screen fades to black, the xbox Guide goes away, but the dashboard NEVER shows up (I let it sit there for 15 minutes and it did nothing). If, while it is on that black screen, I try to press the guide button again, the guide shows up, but the loading animation stays and the "friends messages media" etc never show up. Trying to push the guide button doesn't make the guide go away after "opening" it. Trying to hold the guide button to make the console soft-restart doesn't work. There are occasions where pushing the power button on the console also does not turn the console off, and I have to hard-restart it by unplugging the power source. 

I thought it would be useless to post this in XBL problems because not only does the problem reach farther than just XBL, but the official support users would just tell me to go through the troubleshooting process again, which I have done twice with no relief of the problem.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

I have heard of issues like this before, and my best advice for you would be to check your Hard Drive. Try the following:

1) Turn on your Xbox 360 and skip the sign in process, or if your console automatically signs you in, just sign out.

2) Insert a Flash Drive into your console and, if you haven't already, configure it for Xbox 360 Memory usage. (Just use the custom settings and set it to the lowest amount possible)

3) Go to System settings, then Memory, then Gamer Profiles, select yours, and move it to the Flash Drive.

4) Power off the console and remove your Hard Drive.

5) Turn the console back on and sign in using your profile on the Flash Drive and attempt to play a game online.

If all works well, then your Hard Drive is in need of repair. If the issue persists, then you'll need to call Xbox Customer Support at 1800-4MY-XBOX (1800-469-9269) and set up a repair. Hope I could help!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is your xbox 360 overheating?

Overheating is unfortunately an extremely common problem. The console’s fans whurr so loudly that you’d think it would be fine, but whilst drowning out a lot of the sound from your games you need to ensure that it is in a well ventilated area. Try to make sure that there is nothing surrounding it and that it is not to close to a heat source.

Check your Xbox 360 Hard Drive

Not only can the cache corrupt from time to time, but also the Hard Drive itself. When most Xbox 360s start freezing most people cry out “Red Ring of Death is coming!”. But that’s not always true...Try clearing your system cache!

I’ve read that using a circuit breaker can cause problems with the Xbox 360 console. Apparently that big sexy looking grey box attached to the console’s plug has one already built in, and adding it to a circuit breaker can limit the amount of power being sent to your Xbox...

I think that all Xbox 360's come with a three year warranty...If none of my tips helped you at all, try giving Microsoft Technical Support a call, and arrange for them to have a look at your console...

That number is(1800-4MY-XBOX)...All the best!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.